Is there a way to add the required field asterisk to the screen?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to make JIRA applications fields required in a workflow transition

I've added a Validator to a Transition and the validation works, but there isn't a "required field" asterisk on the screen so my team doesn't know the field is required on this transition until they attempt to submit it and they receive an error. Is there any trick to getting an asterisk to appear on the Screen even though the field is only required in order to successfully transition to the next Status? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Oct 26, 2016

No, this is not currently possible in JIRA Cloud. JIRA Server customers rely on Javascript hacks to accomplish this.

Thank you for the quick response.

I did'nt find any Javascript hack, does anyboy know where i can find an example?

I have an approach that works for me on JIRA Server:

• ScriptRunner for JIRA plugin (Server Only, Paid)
    • ScriptRunner for JIRA provides a module called "Behaviors"
  • JIRA Suite Utilities plugin (Free)
    • JIRA Suite Utilities provides a Validator class, "Field Required"
  1. Add a new behavior, call it something like "global-field-required-behavior"
  2. Set the mapping for this behavior to be All Projects and All Issue Types
  3. Edit the behavior and click Enable on Use Validator Plugin
  4. Use the "Field Required" validator when making required fields on a workflow

All required fields will have the desired asterisk when using the workflow validator.

I've bought "Jira Workflow Essentials". This plugin shows asteriks when using the field required function.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,990 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot