Is there a way to add a custom field to a version, in the cloud version?

Carlos Rincon July 3, 2017

Hi

I have the need to attach additional metadata to versions, besides the Start Date / Release Date / Description that are there by default.

Is there some way to add custom fields / data to versions in the cloud version of Jira? Or any plugin that would allow me to do that?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
patrick wolf August 10, 2017

Hi Nic, I have both Portfolio and Tempo installed. How would these product help with adding additional fields at the version level.

In our case, I would like to add meta data such as the type of release (New dev vs. Maintenance) as well as some business classification we have associated to our releases in the CRM.

I see also you are from Adaptavist, could Scriptrunner be helpful also?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Patrick

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2017

Neither of them add fields to versions directly, but they do support more version management functions.

ScriptRunner can help, yes, you could use it to write functions that could keep more information alongside versions - a simple implementation might be to have a project with an issue for each version in it, then you can list whatever fields you want.  I'd use ScriptRunner to create scripted fields that pull data out of it (e.g. display the release type field from the issue that matches the fixversion) and links to the relevant issue.

Like Maciej Kożuch likes this
Karthik V June 29, 2018

Hi Nic, Can you please elaborate on this? We want to add a field similar to what Patrick is asking. We want to add a type of release (Alpha, Beta, Prod. etc.). I am new to ScriptRunner add-on. Any help is appreciated.

Patrick, please suggest if you have been able to resolve this.

Like Maciej Kożuch likes this
Maciej Kożuch November 29, 2018

Hello to You!

I have basically the same needs! To put this simple, we need additional columns in the Versions to add data like:

- on which HW version will this run

- is this internal release (eg. to test dept) or external

- what is the use case for the release (eg. bechtest, user test, mass prod..)

etc.

Are you able to solve this in the meanwhile? I create an other topic with more requests to this feature. Feel free to back it up!
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-discussions/Jira-versions-and-how-to-make-it-awesome-what-is-still-missing/td-p/951343

Like Kiran likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

No, there's no way to add additional fields to versions.  Even the server version is lacking in add-ons that do it from what I can find, and there's definitely nothing for Cloud.

There are add-ons which can help you with associated data though, Portfolio, Big Picture and Tempo all have some things that help with version management.

Carlos Rincon July 5, 2017

Many thanks Nic - will have a look at those add-ons (we were considering checking out Portfolio in any case for some of our other needs).

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2022

I'm wondering if this is still the case?  

I want to add additional date fields for e.g. original plandate in case of a replanning, in- and external releases)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2022

No change from the above.

Like jeroen_wilmes likes this

Suggest an answer