Is there a way to add None to the priority list? (next gen) project.

Jason Bemis August 15, 2019

a follow up question to:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Next-Gen-setting-default-value-for-priority-field/qaq-p/1132226

My CSV imported cases all have a priority of None, which I find very useful.  clearly stating that it has not been set.  I can see from a glance at the board which cases need to be triaged.

but new cases opened directly in Jira default to Medium.

I would argue the default state is near useless without a None state as there is no way to tell if a user has actually thought about that value. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

Hello Jason,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

You could create a global priority "None" and add it as the default option for your next-gen project, so you would be able to identify which issues were not set with a priority. These would be the steps:

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Priorities

- Create a priority called "None", adding it in the lower level

- Navigate to your Next-gen Project > Project Settings > Issue types

- Select "none" as the default value for the priority field

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 17.14.22.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Jason Bemis August 16, 2019

Very nice, I had not found my way into the Issue settings, but that make sense now.  Thank you!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

You are welcome, Jason!

Have a nice weekend. :)

Anat Kutner June 9, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves  I'm a jira admin and we use Next Gen

However I'm not able to see how/ where I can edit the priority values like in the screenshot above that you provided, I can only see high medium low, I want to add a blocker value, what am I missing here? Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 12.41.04.png 

Jason Bemis June 9, 2020

It is pretty well hidden.  In the upper right corner of jira is the gear, select Issues.

Then on the left hand side a long list shows up, scroll down to select priorities.  That is where you can add new priorities to the list.  The screen you are looking at is how to set the default priority.

CaptureJira.PNG

But I like your idea, being able to add new priorities from that screen would be much more intuitive.

Like Javier Aranda likes this
Anat Kutner June 9, 2020

Thanks @Jason Bemis SUPER HELPFUL!!!!

Suggest an answer