Is there a way to Show sub-tasks (grouped under parent story) on Next Gen Scrum boards

Sunil Koparde June 4, 2019

Recently got sub-tasks enabled on the cloud version for our Next Gen Projects but I am not able to see the sub-tasks (under the parent) on the scrum board. I did spent sometime trying different things but no luck. 

If anyone has done this on Next Gen projects scrum board - please do let me know how this can be achieved!!

TIA

Sunil

Here is a screenshot of what I would like to see -JSM-ActiveSprints-SwimlanesStoriesSetting.png

7 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2019

Hi Sunil,

To get the desired layout on the next-gen board go to the active sprint, use the Group By option set it to Sub task, and this will stack the Sub-tasks and Stories like the following Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.50.07 AM.png

And for a referance point on this new feature the documentation can be seen here:

Sunil Koparde June 7, 2019

Thank you. I am not sure why it didnt show this way earlier,I am sure I did try that option!! Anyways , all is well now, that its working fine.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Marek Błauciak August 1, 2019

Hi Guys,

It's working fine but when i try to add Filter on Epic then board is empty. Is it a limitation of next gen?

Capture.PNG

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2019

Hi @Marek Błauciak ,

Thanks for pointing that out,  I would expect that the story and sub-tasks of that story would be displayed where the story used in the Group by swim-lane is linked to the Parent Epic selected for the filter.  

I created the following Bug report to follow up to track this behavior, add yourself as a watcher if you would like to receive status updates on the Bug:

Regards,
Earl

Like Marek Błauciak likes this
Deleted user August 18, 2019

Hi, this option for me as admin is available. Great. It is not available however for non-admin team members. How do I enable this for non-admin? Cheers

Like # people like this
Lauren Franza February 10, 2021

Is there a way to make this feature available to non-admin yet?

9 votes
Melanie Whyte February 9, 2021

This is an issue that people have been complaining about since 2019 when sub tasks were first introduced. Its crazy that you can not just see them as issues on the board. No one wants just view a breakdown of sub tasks and then all other tasks.

Such an obvious feature. We are going to revert back to classic projects. Really jira should have just bedded in trello rather than trying to recreate it with these next-gen as the functionality is just not good enough. 

Oscar Garcia October 22, 2021

almost 2022 and we are still not there :expressionless:

Like Jonathan Holford likes this
ramon December 10, 2021

Disappointing to learn that that's no way of showing them all in the same board (no swim lanes)

But thanks for saving my time

4 votes
Lauren Franza September 3, 2019

Same here, the admins can see the Group By filter, but this is not available for non-admin team members. Is there a setting that can make sub-tasks available to all on the board?

Stefan Knecht September 8, 2019

(+1 interested in a solution)

Like # people like this
Ali Adib November 25, 2019

I have the same issue, Admins see it but not the Members, let alone the Viewers. This needs to be fixed. Our team doesn't have an easy way to look at subtasks on the board at the moment. 

Like # people like this
Kjartan Rekdal Müller January 9, 2020

Yes, this should absolutely be a setting for the individual user, and not a project setting. Being able to toggle different views independently of others is super cool! Not being able to toggle individually makes next gen almost useless!

Like # people like this
Kevin Davis August 25, 2020

I don't personally like the Group By filter being the way to make subtasks visible in the first place. The swinlanes that creates is unnecessarily noisy and space-hogging imho. I much prefer the way they are shown on the classic boards and not sure why they changed it for next-gen.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Giorgi Nadareishvili November 18, 2020

Hello, i have similar issue, usually we use filter by assign while going through tasks on board, it helps us to see allocation of tasks, through team members, but in this cases sub-tasks are not displayed on board, if i switch to sub-task view, then order of tasks changes and it's very difficult to view what task is assigned to whom, unless apply another filter by board member

so is there any option to filter board by assign and view sub tasks as well ? all sub tasks are assigned to team members and it seems logical to me to see them on board,  

2 votes
Agnes Ferenczi October 3, 2020

The group by subtasks button removes the order of the tasks, though. Is there a way to keep the order to reflect priority? 

1 vote
Nicholas Aquino July 30, 2021

You are a hero Earl.  I would use expletives to express how happy I am to find this thread after trying to figure this out on my own. 

Occams razor I suppose. 

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2021

We are gathering feedback on having a view where you can see all subtask level issues and base level issues (i.e. story, bug, task, etc) on the Board at the same time here  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18064

Thanks

Eoin

Robert Hill November 22, 2021

Hi Eoin, how is that gathering coming along?

Eoin
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2021

Hi Robert. It's something we'll support eventually but it's not coming soon - we're focusing on workflows, filtering, performance, and multiple boards in a TMP project over the next 9+ months. Best to use Company Managed Projects in the meantime if this is something you need. Hope this helps!

Kaan Yuksel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 12, 2024

Now that it's 2.5 years later, any updates on this very desirable feature?

Cc: @Eoin  

Suggest an answer