Is there a way our Kanban Control Chart can display Story Points?

Deleted user August 2, 2019

Is there a way our Kanban Control Chart can display Story Points?

The idea is to report against any given time-frame for story point cycle time.

I have not been able to find a way to handle this.

Thanks all!

Steve

2 answers

0 votes
Matt Visser February 21, 2020

I've been trying to figure this out for a bit and yes there is!

At the bottom of the control chart, you will see a drop-down called 'Quick Filters'.

If you create some new quick filters - of which the JQL is something like 'Story Points' = 2, then you can apply this quick filter to the Control Chart.

This allows you to see the numbers for these stories, including the median, mean and max times for stories to complete the cycle against those points.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2019

Hello Steve,

I understand that you would like a report that provides the story points filled against the specific time frame you set, so you can see the impact of Story Points size and the actual effect on your cycle time (e.g. a "1" might take 3d, and "5" might take 2w). Is it correct?

In fact,  there isn't an easy way to achieve this information in JIRA while using Kanban boards, since JIRA kanban methodology is not focused on the velocity a determined version is finished but in a continuous work not based on estimation.

That been said, we understand how a report like this would be helpful, so we created a feature request to get it implemented in JIRA:

Story Point and Velocity Segmentation for Kanban

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates. 

For now, we recommend you to try a Scrum board and check if this methodology meets your need in JIRA. You can take a look at the documentation below for more details about Scrum:

Scrum tutorial

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events