Is there a way normal users can import issues from Excel?

David Vega December 20, 2012

I know it is possible to import from excel, but this option is only available to higher level administrators.

Is there a way I can make this option available to project admins for their specific projects?

We have to use an internal issue tracking system, however, this guy supports excel import/export... if there was a way I could enable this feature to project admins (without having to make them higher level admins and exposing system configuration) we could make Jira our main issue tracking system.

I guess an equivalent 3rd party plugin could do, but I don't know about any.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

How to import JIRA issues using CSV can be used once the Excel workbook is saved as csv.

For the benefit of people using Confluence, I put together How to allow users to import JIRA issues from Excel or CSV. For over a year, this technique has been used to successfully import hundreds of issues with over 80 separate imports logged. In this case, it was for importing QA test plans into JIRA after they when through a review process. The QA team found it easier to use Excel copy/paste/update until the plans were ready to be formalized as issues.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

+1 for this.

David Vega January 5, 2013

Could you elaborate on this? CLI is even more away from normal users...

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2013

No, it is not, hence my comment asking for clarification :) In my original question I make clear that I need this for normal Jira users (i.e. not Jira administrators, much less server administrators), normal users don't have access to the server command line interface. So unless Bob is implying that I have to write a program, or a Jira plugin, this is not a complete answer to my question, so I would like to read his thoughts on what he meant

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2013
Oh, no, the CLI is an independent program that can be run by any normal user. Could you please check the docs at https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface

I mean a normal Jira user... not a normal server user... I mean the kind of user that just knows how to point and click on his browser, not the one that SSHs to the server with a server account

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2013

Yes David, the real normal user, who just knows how to click :) You can write a Wiki page and tell them how to invoke the command line tool. It is very very easy to use. There is no need to SSH to server and do anything. As long as the user's machine can connect to JIRA over http/https, the CLI will work. It uses SOAP/REST internally to connect and do the job. Just try it out, you will start loving it ;)

thrinesh reddy July 9, 2013

Hi,

when i am trying to import csv file through wiki as per https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CCLI/How+to+allow+users+to+import+JIRA+issues+from+Excel+or+CSV , it is throwing an error like "Error rendering macro 'cli' : Security restricted macro is not allowed. An edit restriction is required that matches the macro authorization list."

Please help regarding this....

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

Already answered: CCLI-23

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2012

I don't believe any exist. The only way I know of is the one in the documentation which requires you to logon with an administrator id. Another problem, unless they recently changed it, you need to have the file on a drive the JIRA server can get to which pretty much excludes you local hard drive.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2012

Yes, you can import it from a well formatted comma separated CSV file. For details on how you do it please refer to this link below.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

Suggest an answer