Is there a reason for no way to configure create issue permissions separately for different issue types

Dmitry.Semionin August 25, 2012

It's been asked before, but all answers offered were some tricky workarounds i don't have enough Jira skills to implement yet.

Why is there no easy way to restrict issue creation so that only the selected users/groups have permission to create issues of specific type? I mean, it's only logical to allow one group of people to report bugs but forbid them register features etc.

I know that i can configure permissions so that only a desired user/group can transition the issue of specific type. But that's not what i want.

So, i wonder why does Jira not offer this simple functionality out of the box, and is there a way to request such a feature if for some reason it wasn't done so yet?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2012

Reason - time and effort.

There are more useful things for Atlassian to deal with. There is a long standing request for this (and a lot of duplicates and votes), but they've chosen to prioritise other things for assorted reasons. One is that most of their customers don't need it. Or, more accurately, need/want other things a lot more.

Imprtant - this is simply my understanding of why. You'd need to ask Atlassian for the exact reasons.

If I were them, I would actually have it very high on the list (especially as they want to move Jira more into the "Enterprise" markets - this is certainly something large organisations really want), but there's still a stack of improvements above it. Priority schemes, clustering, archiving, clustering, field security, clustering, layers of sub-tasks, clustering, versions for components, clustering, global versions and components, clustering, more layers of administrative users, clustering, sorting out mandatory/optional fields, clustering, etc - all FAR more important to Enterprise users than issue-level permissions.

Suggest an answer