Is there a plugin/add-on for SMS notification capability based on workflow transition?

Patrick Mosakoa April 24, 2017

I have a custom field 'Cell_Phone' that a creator of an issue provide details for at creation of an issue. I want to be able to send out an SMS to that cell phone number provided at two different workflow transition stages. E.g. at date and time ''created' and 'closed/rejected' stages of the issue.

e.g. - 'issue EE10' created 24 April 17 15h15: SMS gets send out to the cell phone number xxxxxxxxx

- issue EE10 comes to completion and custom field 'date case closed' is updated, then an SMS get send out to xxxxxxxxx again.

Basically, right after a specific workflow transition, an SMS using a custom field within the workflow get send out.

Please share ideas on how I can accomplish this

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

Zapier allows you to create automation rules to integrate JIRA and Twilio (the de-facto SMS service provider of the web).

See: https://zapier.com/zapbook/jira/twilio/

And there is also this dedicate add-on which may suit your needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.polontech.jira.smssender/server/overview

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

This depends entirely on how your SMS carrier can process sends - some accept REST calls, some take emails and translate them to SMS, and I've seen it done with simple web-page posts.  I'm sure there are others.

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2017

For a table on how to send SMS via email for most US carriers, see this page (table is halfway down the page).

If the carrier doesn't accept messages via API or email, you could always make use of a service like Twilio (they charge a tiny fee per message - less than 1¢ USD per message).

Suggest an answer