Is there a plan to make JIRA search better?

Hi there

We're using JIRA across our organization and love it. The main search query is really useless though and we can't make sense of its logic. Feels like when entering a search term in the main search field in the header, priority should be given to:

• tasks/bugs/etc where the term is in the summary
  • tasks/bugs/etc assigned to me
  • tasks/bugs/etc. not closed
  • and THEN only everything else

I know JIRA lets you do a detailed search, but right now the default search is so bad it works 0% of the time without adding search parameters.

Any insights as to plans to make this work better?

2 answers

I don't have any answer for you regarding planned quick search changes. 

Unlike you, I find the quick search to be useful, although, as you note, the response often requires additional parameters to narrow to what I want. Your question made me go look at the documentation. I didn't realize if the quick search has a project key as the first word, it will scope the search to the specified project.

I can see where your specified search order would be useful in certain circumstances. Personally, for me, I don't think it would be a better default than the current settings.  I'm almost always looking either across the whole enterprise or looking at history when I use general search. When I want to look at issues assigned to me, or open issues, I'm usually looking at a dashboard or kanban board.

The current search is really bad with the word stem issues.   At the very least you would expect a product like this to support better .*substring.* to work.   But the tokenizing, word boundary stuff in JIRA search is really terrible.

So if you are searching for parts of a link you are pretty much out of luck.  It would really help if jira full text search was working better.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

790 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you