Is there a gadget or another method to show a graph of open jiras for a project over time

Richard Richard September 5, 2012

The Two Dimensional Filter Statistics gadget allows a nice summary presentation of the current state of a project. What is also needed is a graph widget that shows the work remaining for a project. This can be shown nicely with a graph that has a jira count on the y-axis and the date on the x-axis. The the only thing left is for the user/admin to choose what filter to use for each line, e.g. a simple two line chart would show open jiras for ProjectA, and resolved jiras for ProjectA.

Is there such a gadget, or a way to bend an existing gadget to get 90% of the information shown in a graph?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

Rick, it is same as what Matheus suggested, use the Created Vs Resolved chart and select "Show Unresolved" trend.

Gavin Kingsley June 16, 2014

Why does this answer get a tick? As has been pointed out, it does not actually answer the question/meet the users' need.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2012

Rick,

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you are trying to get a report of issues created vs. issues resolved over time to see how much work is left, you can possibly use one of the following reports in JIRA:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Matheus Fernandes

Except they don't show the number of open issues over the lifetime of the project.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Shura Iline December 24, 2013

Neither "Created vs Resolved" nor "Recently Created" helps.

Using the Rick's data example above ...

If my product has only be worked on for 10 weeks, then yes, what I want to see is 3, 7, 10, 11, 11, 10, 7, 4, 0 and that is done by the "Created vs Resolved" report.

But what if my product has been around for 3 years? 10 weeks ago there could have been a hundred of bugs, so what I really want to see is

103, 107, 110, 111, 111, 110, 107, 104, 100

You may say that I could still use the "Created vs Resolved" report only create it for the whole lifecycle. True, only

1) I will have to adjust the query as time goes

2) I am really only interested in past 10 weeks

I agree. The sliding window of the Created versus Resolved is difficult to explain. "Oh, that issue? We don't worry about that one any more as it is more than 30 days old."

1 vote
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

The Created vs Resolved Show Unresolved Trend should show this but it doesn't. Instead of calculating how many bugs are actually open on a given day, as I understand it, it arbitrarily assumes that the number of defects is zero at the beginning of the period. Thus, it can tell you that, in the last 42 days, you've resolved 17 more than you've opened, but not how many are actually open !

This is a critically useful piece of information, and as Rick says, this is trivial in Excel. Atlassian, please help !

0 votes

Here's an example of the kind of thing I am thinking of (created manually in Confluence). Note that adding in information for created and closed issues is nice since in the flat areas of this chart there can still be a lot of activity happening.

0 votes
Richard Richard October 10, 2012

As a simple example; imagine a 10 week long project where you have to fix, verify and close all jiras reported against that project.

The weekly found count might look like this: 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 0, 0

The weekly fixed cound might look like this: 0, 0, 2, 4, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 0

The weekly closed count could look like this: 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

This gives the (not yet fixed) count of: 3, 7, 10, 11, 11, 10, 7, 4, 0, 0 I want a line graph of this data. It shows a running count of how many bugs need to be fixed.

This gives the (not closed) count of: 3, 7, 12, 17, 18, 17, 14, 10, 5, 0 I want a line graph of this data. It should how many bugs need to be verified and closed.

The project can not ship until the all the found bugs are fixed (the not yet fixed count = 0) and all the bugs have been verified and closed (the not closed count = 0)

This is trivial to do in Excel.

Suggest an answer