Is there a field (or can I create one) that returns a list of stories in an epic?

Esther Strom November 1, 2017

If you create a filter that displays stories, you can add a column to the filter that displays a field called Sub-Tasks. Here's a sample:

filterView.png

Is there a similar field that would display a list of stories in an epic? I know I can set my jql to pull in all stories as line items, but I have a few users who just want to see the epics as line items, with a single column for each displaying a comma-delimited list of the stories in each epic.

If that doesn't already exist, is there a way to create a computed field that would provide this functionality? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

You can use Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin to create a scripted field with the required functionality. There are other plugins also available which allow you to create scripted fields

OK, I'm surprised there isn't native functionality for this, but I created a custom scripted field. I was able to get the list of issue keys by using the code in the accepted answer here, but it's just a text field. Is there any way to make the results links, as in the Sub-Tasks field shown in my OP?

Here's the code from the linked answer:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.fugue.Option

if(issue.issueType.name=="Epic") {
    def epic = (Option)Option.option(issue)
    def epicLinkManagerImpl = getBean("epicLinkManagerImpl");
    issuesInEpic = epicLinkManagerImpl.getIssuesInEpic(issue)
    return issuesInEpic.toString()

}

return null

//Method to get the greenhopper bean instance
def getBean(String beanId)
{
    def ghPlugin         = ComponentAccessor.getPluginAccessor().getEnabledPlugin("com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira")
    def descriptor           = ghPlugin.getModuleDescriptor("greenhopper-launcher")
    def applicationContext     = descriptor.getModule().greenHopperCacheManager.applicationContext
    def beanInstance      = applicationContext.getBean(beanId)
    return beanInstance;
}
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

Use HTML Template and return a string as html. You can read more here:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/scripted-fields.html#_getting_started

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2017

By the way, you did a great job. You wrote the script very fast.

I can't take credit for the script; I stole it from the post I linked to in my previous post. :)

Suggest an answer