Is there a cost per server

Dennis Kornbluh June 10, 2015

I only see a cost based on number of users. If I want a redundant solution where two JIRA servers receive HTTP requests from a load-balancer, does that double the price? In my case, I want JIRA and JIRA Agile for 250 users.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2015

No, but yes.

First, you can't load-balance standard JIRA like that.  It runs on a single server.  You can't have active-active failover or load settings, it will not work.  

A redundant Active-Passive setup will work though, and it won't cost extra - the main production licence comes with a "developer licence" which is intended for setup of dev/test systems, and loading onto disaster-recovery servers so you can fail over quickly.

If you truly need load-balancing and cluster type stuff, you need JIRA Data Centre, not plain JIRA.  See https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/data-center

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2015

Yes, but the requests aren't the problem. State sessions, concurrent index writes across slow shared file systems, in-memory caches and lots of other things come into play. That's why Data Centre was written - simply slapping Atlassian applications on to allegedly clustered solutions either caused data corruption or was unbearably slow (usually, both) There was a good write-up for non-Data-Centre JIRA/Confluence somewhere, but the bookmark I've got for it is restricted now, and the searches take you to Data-Centre stuff now, which is rather annoying. However, it boils down to: 1. Put your attachments on replicated storage (never the index though!) 2. Have a second server with an identical JIRA installed, but not running 3. Use database replication so that your failover rig has a realtime copy of production data When things go bang, you can 1. Shutdown production JIRA, break the database replication 2. Point DNS to the failover (actually, your load balancer could kick in here, but don't quote me) 3. Start the failover system 4. Reindex it

0 votes
Dennis Kornbluh June 10, 2015

Why can't you load balance with the standard server? Isn't each request atomic?

Where are the instructions for setting up an active/passive configuration?

Suggest an answer