Is there a best practices for setting up Jira Projects?

Michael Brooks April 2, 2013

We recently purchased Jira OnDemand and are converting from ClearQuest.We are considering changing the way we had projects laid out and were curious if there were any best practices as to how a project should be structured.

We are also considering implementing greenhopper. what influences does that have on a project structure? Is it an entire project represented on a greenhopper board or can it be a subset of a project?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2013

Hi Michael, 'best practices' is something difficult to say. As far as I know Jira's project can be structured in such a lot of ways.

In my case I created one project category per client, and inside that category I have all projects for the client, such as New Developments, Bugs Support, Security Implementation and others.

And I almost have one workflow per issuetype per client. For example, New Feature has clientx_workflow and clienty_workflow.

I have issuetypes scheme per type of project, for example, every client has a project 'Bugs Support' and there's an issue scheme with 4 issutypes for all 'Bugs support' projects.

And I continue like that... There are a lot ways on how to configure everything, it's only important to discover how is better for you company.

Hope this helps.

Michael Brooks April 8, 2013

Thanks Ramiro! That helps allot!

Suggest an answer