Is t possible to stop ESC key to abort issue modification?

Daisuke Niwa May 24, 2012

Hello there,

When you are modifying JIRA issue via edit issue screen or transition screen, hitting ESC (escape) keys aborts this.

This can cause trouble when you are making lots of changes on a issue.

Is there any way to prevent this happening? Please advise.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

Esc is not something that is configured and provided by JIRA as part of its key strokes, it’s the browsers global key stroke that stops from executing its current action.

If you really want to trap escape key you need to write custom scripts to trap and handle esc key pressed event.

On JIRA key strokes

I'm not sure if you can disable individual keystrokes but here is the guide for disabling keystrokes

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Keyboard+Shortcuts#UsingKeyboardShortcuts-DisablingandRe-enablingKeyboardShortcuts

Daisuke Niwa May 24, 2012

Hello Parthis,

Thank you for your response. Yeah, it seems this is not controlled by JIRA, but the browser itself, so it's difficult to change behavior.

Regards,

Daisuke Niwa

0 votes
Max Cascone May 1, 2019

I just had this happen to me again, and I have to give @Josh Loe credit here, because the Typio extension that he recommended recovered what I'd entered beautifully. I've used it a few other times where I've accidentally closed a window, or similar, and it's great. It sits there in the background until you need it, and it turns what would be a super-frustrating event into a mild inconvenience. I have mine set to only show itself when I double-click in a field, so I don't even see it unless I need it.

Highly recommended, especially for readers of this thread.

Suggest an answer