Is jira service desk the best ingest point for new development projects

Thayne Munson April 27, 2021

Currently, new projects are added straight into our development backlog as epics.  I am looking for a better option for ingesting new projects and identifying critical components of the new project to gauge its priority and key components (is new technology involved, are vendors involved, target duration time, etc).  Is Service Desk my best option for this need?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

@Thayne Munson 

I believe it really depends on your process.  I have done it both way successfully.  The unit I currently work with does use the Service Desk to intake project requests and then those go through a review process to ensure that all of the information required to initiate the project has been collected.  After it is collected the project does not get added to Jira Software until it is added to a release and the work can be scheduled.

Previously in another unit I worked for the intake process was similar but was done with an online form that created the issue in our software project.  The process was similar in gathering requirements and then getting scheduled.  

Both processes worked well.  The only advantage with the service desk is we have a lot more freedom to collaborate with the end user on the issue.  They do not have to be part of the project to be able to see the information or communicate back and forth on the issue.

Thayne Munson April 29, 2021

Thanks Brant.  Very helpful.  

Suggest an answer