Is it safe to modify workflow directly in JIRA database?

Caner Arda February 4, 2015

We are working on an upgrade from JIRA 4.3 to 6.3. We have imported all the data into 6.3 and did significant workflow modifications to resolve the problems with custom groovy scripts etc.

My concern is, when we perform the upgrade on the live system, would it be safe to update the workflows directly in database, after import has completed (JIRA will be down)? Or are we limited to XML import, which will take significant time while configuring new worflow schemes etc?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2015

NO. You're asking for trouble to do anything directly in the database except read operations.

Caner Arda February 4, 2015

Thanks for the answer. From your experience, how would you tackle the problem?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2015

To be safe you need to go through the same steps as the first time. This is the primary reason I don't do any customization and only use supported plugins. You lose much of the advantage of a COTS product when you heavily customize it. When responding to requests you need to ask if this is really mission critical or a 'nice to have' or a user training issue. I've seen lots of code written to accommodate users not doing things right. A couple days off without pay can usually take care of user not doing things correct issue after a couple warnings.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

I've tweaked workflow XML in the db occasionally when JIRA is stopped. But  it is more error prone so I avoid doing it. If it's just a few workflow schemes you'll have to update I'd do it the right way. 

Suggest an answer