Is it safe to modify workflow directly in JIRA database?

We are working on an upgrade from JIRA 4.3 to 6.3. We have imported all the data into 6.3 and did significant workflow modifications to resolve the problems with custom groovy scripts etc.

My concern is, when we perform the upgrade on the live system, would it be safe to update the workflows directly in database, after import has completed (JIRA will be down)? Or are we limited to XML import, which will take significant time while configuring new worflow schemes etc?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Feb 04, 2015

NO. You're asking for trouble to do anything directly in the database except read operations.

Thanks for the answer. From your experience, how would you tackle the problem?

Joe Pitt Community Champion Feb 04, 2015

To be safe you need to go through the same steps as the first time. This is the primary reason I don't do any customization and only use supported plugins. You lose much of the advantage of a COTS product when you heavily customize it. When responding to requests you need to ask if this is really mission critical or a 'nice to have' or a user training issue. I've seen lots of code written to accommodate users not doing things right. A couple days off without pay can usually take care of user not doing things correct issue after a couple warnings.

0 votes

I've tweaked workflow XML in the db occasionally when JIRA is stopped. But  it is more error prone so I avoid doing it. If it's just a few workflow schemes you'll have to update I'd do it the right way. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,906 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot