It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it "JIRA" or "Jira"?

until now (November 2017) I've been writing JIRA "JIRA" - it's how it was historically

I just noticed my Confluence Cloud site auto-corrected "JIRA" to "Jira" - so it made me quickly check the Atlassian site...

....and I can see it's now "Jira"

Does anyone know the backstory?  Was it JIRA and now it's Jira?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted

They announced at Summit in September alongside the new logos that Jira is now no longer fully capitalized.

And all other Atlassian products dropped any CamelCase names. Marketing trends I guess

Thanks Josh and Matt.   Out of interest, any idea why it was all capitals ("JIRA") in the first place? It was named after a japanese godzilla so not an acronym, so why the capitals?

I don't know. It was from the era of Java or JAVA so maybe that was related. Or the name needed some oopmh - JIRA, JIRA!

Hi - We use Confluence Server and it is still auto-correcting "Jira" to "JIRA". We have confirmed that it is not in the browser settings, so it is Confluence somehow doing it. We are on version 6.5.2 so it seems like it should have been updated. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Wait for Atlassian to fix Confluence.  That's the only supported answer I have I'm afraid.

Like # people like this

type Jira, it corrects it, then use the Undo (Ctrl-Z for me) shortcut to undo the autocorrect

Like T Chambers likes this

Thanks Nic and Matt! I guess I'll just be patient, even though for some reason this drives me bonkers.

My next-gen Scrum project home is still titled "Project Name - Roadmap - JIRA".

I interpret the vestiges of JIRA still in Atlassian products to mean the developers are too busy working on higher priority cards in their sprints to fix this.

Like Matt Doar {LinkedIn} likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

274 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you