Is it possible, using the jira python library, to transition an issue without notifications sent?

Dean Kayton March 6, 2018

Automation is working as expected. However we have not found a way to suppress notifications when transitioning an issue. When updating an issue we are able to:

issue.update(
fields={
'labels': issue.fields.labels,
'fixVersions': versions
},
notify=False
)

but there does not seem to be an equivalent for:

def get_transition_id(issue, action):
transitions = jira.transitions(issue)
for transition in transitions:
if transition['name'] == action:
return transition['id']

transition_id_close = get_transition_id(issue, 'Close Issue')
jira.transition_issue(issue, transition_id_close) # How does one suppress notifications here?

Is there an equivalent?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

Isn't transition connected with an event that trigger an notification? I think that editing the transition (or notification) in the UI should help here and then you can simply execute it over JIRA Python.

You can always create a transition (only available for JIRA Python but also goes to Close status) without an associated notification.

Dean Kayton March 9, 2018

Oh, thanks for this. I understand now that the notification is triggered outside of the issue transition request. I think the solution you propose is the only way to perform what I propose.

Suggest an answer