Is it possible to use a wild card to search for issues in a Category?

- February 6, 2015

We're using the names of our orgs and teams to create the Category to identify the organization and team for which the project resides.

It looks like this: MyOrg:MyTeam then projects.

There are 20+ projects in my org and I want visibility of all open Epics. Is it possible to use a wildcard in a search for Category so I can find all Categories that begin with MyOrg? My query looks like this now (where MyOrg is replaced with the actual org name) but doesn't work:

issuetype = Epic AND category = "MyOrg*"

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2015

I don't believe that the category field will accept anything except whole values in JQL.

However if you wanted to include all MyOrg categories, then you could do a search like:

issuetype = Epic AND category in ("MyOrg:Team1", "MyOrg:Team2", "MyOrg:Team3")

Of course, if you added a new MyOrg category, you would have to add it to the filter.

0 votes
- February 9, 2015

Thanks for trying to help. I was trying to avoid a query with multiple categories since we have upwards of 20 and are not done setting up yet. It looks like that may be my only option so I'll wait until things have settled and take the time to create the query.

MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2015

Alternatively, you could just use MyOrg for the Project Categories and name your Projects 'Team1:Project1', 'Team1:Project2', etc.