Is it possible to use Views|RSS (Comments) to view only the Work Log comments?

Dinu Radian April 17, 2013

For JIRA ver. 5.2.

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2013

Dinu, I coded the solution you are looking for, it is only the initial release, so it may not fully meet your expectations, but please let me know if you ahve suggestions to improve it.

After installing the plugin there will be a new "RSS (Worklogs)" under the "Views" tab

http://maven.edwardawebb.com/repository/releases/com/edwardawebb/jira-worklog-searchview/0.0.1/jira-worklog-searchview-0.0.1.jar

Dinu Radian April 18, 2013

1. Hugely interested to try your plugin. Many thanks!

2. I have just tried (04/18/2013 @ 15:15) to download the jar, but I am getting a 404 error?

3. My answer your earlier question: "historical view based on time"

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2013

YOu may have tried to download before I fixed the link to version 0.0.1, please try again.

Still the same problem (NOTE: the version indicated in this message is 1.0.0 while your message says 0.0.1?!) :

Not Found

The requested URL /repository/releases/com/edwardawebb/jira-worklog-searchview/1.0.0/jira-worklog-searchview-1.0.0.jar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Nevermind: I was able to download the jar.

I have installed the plugin successfully, I verified it shows up in the list of user installed plugins, but I do not see the option RSS (Worklogs) in the Views Menu. Do we need to re-start the server?

My bad! The option exists but is not together with RSS (Issues) and RSS (Comments). It is at the bottom of the Views Menu. This is not a problem, but the fact that the comments are listed in the wrong order (the most recent comment at the bottom of the list) is. Can you fix the order?

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013
Dinu Radian July 23, 2013

Hello Eddie! I have operated some configuration changes in JIRA, and I am using a new JIRA account to access the same JIRA projects. Using the same filters when I try to see the RSS (Worklogs) I get an empty list of comments. Do you know what may be the cause of this behaviour?

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2013

Glad you isolated the issue @Dinu. If you can share the offending work-log entry I may be able to deduce further. Was there any unusual characters? QUotes, Symbols, non-latin characters, etc? I'd have to look back into the code, but it appears I am not properly escaping the comment.

0 votes
Daniel Baarts October 28, 2015

Just to add a note, it produces this error in catalina.out:

2015-10-28 08:40:21,330 http-nio-8080-exec-7 ERROR [o.a.c.c.C.[.[localhost].[/].[searchrequest-view]] Servlet.service() for servlet [searchrequest-view] in context with path [] threw exception [Servlet execution threw an exception] with root cause
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser()Lcom/atlassian/crowd/embedded/api/User;
at com.edwardawebb.atlassian.plugin.jira.searchrequest.WorklogRssView.writeSearchResults(WorklogRssView.java:96)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.searchrequestview.DefaultSearchRequestURLHandler.handleRequest(DefaultSearchRequestURLHandler.java:419)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.SearchRequestViewServlet.doGet(SearchRequestViewServlet.java:28)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:618)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)
... 133 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.issuenav.LegacyTextQueryUrlRedirectFilter.doFilter(LegacyTextQueryUrlRedirectFilter.java:43)
... 56 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

0 votes
dradian October 27, 2015

Hello Eddie,

I hope you are doing fine and continue to provide extremely valuable help to Atlassian customers.

Would it be possible to get an updated version of the plug in (jira-worklog-searchview-0.0.2.jar) which would work for JIRA ver. 7?

Many thanks in advance,

-Dinu

0 votes
Dinu Radian July 25, 2013

Eddie thanks for your reply! The offending worklog entry was as follows (highlighted):

Damir Tatalovic logged work - Mon, Jul 15, 2013 07:14 AM - edited

Time Spent:
25d

current status:
Testing apps: testing off apps from "Top 100 paid native apps & games" list is completed (spreadsheet 100TopPaidNativeApps&GamesAndroid_20130719.xlsx is attached).
Support for static executables: debugging
next steps
Start testing off apps by different categories (Top 25 Category: Media & Video, Music & Audio, Tools, Communications)
Support for static executables: debugging

I tried a couple of things with the above entry, but finally I gave up and considered the goal acomplished since the RSS (Worklogs) feed was again functional. If you correct your plugin, I would greatly appreciate the update (to avoid future similar problems).

0 votes
Dinu Radian July 24, 2013

After more than a couple of hours of investigation, I have found one particular record which had a Worklog comment which caused the entire RSS feed of worklogs to be obliterated. I have removed that particular worklog entry, re-entered it per the original (not copied but re-typed!) and the problem got fixed. Very strange. I would appreciate any comment you may have regarding this incident.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2013

Sorry, I raised the order as high as I could, but I would need to add some gritty JS hacks to align it with the others I think, and would rather not risk breaking it when the make UI updates.

0 votes

It does work much better now! I will play around with it for a while. Would it be too much to ask if you could place the "RSS (Worklogs)" option in the same place as the other two RSS options?

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2013

I think you would need to build your own search view. But using the existing source code in JIRA to model off the RSS (comments) view you could easily build your own Search Request View

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Search+Request+View+Plugin+Module

Dinu Radian April 17, 2013

I understand the recommendation, but I am not looking to work under JIRA's hood. Why shouldn't this be an option for the end-user to select from (in other words, why should't it be added to the two existing Views|RSS choices?)? It is obviously much more useful for issue management than getting the long list of collaborative comments.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2013

Fair. Question, would you want the work logs grouped by issue, or just historical view based on time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events