Is it possible to transition the parent issue of an Initiative?

Connor Skiro April 10, 2023

My issue hierarchy consists of:

1. Strategic Activity

2. Initiative

3. Epic

4. Story

5. Sub-task

I would like to transition the Strategic Activity to the same status that the Initiative transitioned to. I stumbled across this post, however, the JQL branch cannot find any related issues when I tried to replicate it. Another set of eyes would be appreciated!

See screenshot below:

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 11.42.08 AM.png

and here's the Smart value for Parent Link in my Atlassian instance:

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 11.44.10 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

I would recommend that you add a Log action component after you create the smart value to verify that {{parentLink}} has the right value and then go from there. Based on the audit log I am guessing that {{parentLink}} might be an empty value.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

Also, I would remove .data.key and only use {{issue.customfield_12524}} to see if that makes a difference.

Connor Skiro April 10, 2023

Good call on the Log action! The reason the branching could not find any related issues because the 'issuekey' for the parent link was not an 'Initiative' issue type (which is expected as I needed to update the parent of it)!

Also, I did remove '.data.key' and the rule was successful! Thank you @Mikael Sandberg for your help!

Working rule

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 1.43.39 PM.png

Updated variable, although, folks will have to replace the custom field ID.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 1.43.47 PM.png

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events