Is it possible to stop sending webhook events for a particular user?

Hi,

Is it possible to stop a webhook triggering if the event was caused by a particular user?

The webhook post contains the user json block so I can do the check in my consuming code however I wondered if perhaps there was a way to avoid it even being sent in the first place.

Thanks,

John

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Jan 03, 2018

I think you can not disable it for a particular user on Jira side. You should do the logic on the receiver side like you wrote.

Hi @Alexey Matveev,

Thank you for confirming I will leave my existing logic as it is :).

Thanks,

John

0 vote

Hi John,

As long as you have access to the JIRA administration console you can disable the Webhook.

• Choose > System. Select Advanced > Webhooks to open the Webhooks page, which shows a list of all existing webhooks.
  • Click Disable or Delete

Cheers,

Branden

Alexey Matveev Community Champion Jan 03, 2018

@Branden McElveenI guess your solution would disable the webhook for all users not for a particular user.

Hi Alexey,

From his description it sounded like he may have wanted to disable that one webhook all together:

I wondered if perhaps there was a way to avoid it even being sent in the first place.

The entire webhooks platform would not be disabled, only that one webhook:

1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
  2. Choose > System. Select Advanced > Webhooks to open the Webhooks page, which shows a list of all existing webhooks.
  3. Here's a few tips on using this page:
    • Click the summary of the webhook in the left 'Webhooks' column to display the details of the webhook. You can edit, delete and disable it via the details panel.
    • Deleting a webhook removes it permanently. If you just want to prevent it from firing, disable the webhook instead.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi @Branden McElveen,

Thanks for your response but as @Alexey Matveev says I was looking for a solution that would allow the webhook to only fire on certain user events, not for it to be disabled completely.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for following up.  I read it as not sending the webhook at all, however, I'm glad Alexey was able to correctly asses what you were trying to do and provide the assistance needed!

Thanks @Alexey Matveev!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

523 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you