Is it possible to split a column into two or three sub-columns?

Ian Ceicys November 16, 2017

Hi guys

I have been watching some Eric Brechner talks on Kanban. It all makes sense for us and I can really see his vision of Kanban working well for our team. The new thing that Eric brought to the table for me was the splitting of a column into two columns.

I am a big fan of Jira, but I could not find a way of achieving Eric's version of Kanban with it. Am I missing something? Or is it true that this cannot be done in Jira?

4 answers

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

At the moment it cannot be done, there is a request to have it implemented in the future.

Ian Ceicys November 17, 2017

Ah thanks for letting me know that! Is there any way to see that request? 

I show a great video about how VSTS does this and would love to see this in Jira. 
https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Connect/2017/B103

Like Mohamed_Benkradidja likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

Here is the one for Jira Cloud, JSWCLOUD-2521, and this one is for Jira Server, JSWSERVER-2521

Like david_l_wilson2 likes this
Ian Ceicys November 17, 2017

Thanks! Awesome!

Elaine Thambiah April 16, 2018

Has it now been implemented?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2018

Nope, see the issues Mikael mentioned for progress.

3 votes
George July 3, 2021

Please vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-2521 if you want to have it implemented. We need more votes

0 votes
Nicolas Bier June 3, 2019

I see one possible workaround to this problem:

• Create two statuses for each stage. E.g. Analyzing/Analyzed, Developing/Developed, etc.
  • Assign every pair to one Kanban column (Analyze, Develop, etc). This way you will have a single WIP limit for each pair.
  • Create a swimlane called "Done" or "Ready for next stage" if you don't want any confusion.
  • Create the filter to move to that swimlane any item belonging to a "Ready" status like Analyzed, Developed, etc.

To move an item to "Done/Ready", drag the item to the area representing the next state in the same column,

When people are about to pull an item to the next stage, they simply need to look in the "Ready" swimlane to see if something's available.

Nicolas Bier June 3, 2019

For the cumulative flow and cycle charts, you may need an external tool to combine statuses together.
Normally the pairs to combine for the cumulative flow are not the same as the stages. In the example above, "Backlog" and "Analyzing" go together, then "Analyzed" & "Developing" and so on (because progress is only made when a stage is completed).

0 votes
Dejana Erich April 11, 2018

@Ian Ceicys I have just posted my workaround solution for this issue on another board if interested: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Configure-board-with-multiple-Todo-Done-columns/qaq-p/317003#M34646

Suggest an answer