Is it possible to show only specific labels on a dashboard gadget?

George Weatherall September 25, 2019

I have a next-gen Jira project where I am tracking issues using multiple labels and epics. We are trying to identify patterns in issues, so I am labeling the issues with the site number that the issue occurred at, as well as the month in which it occurred.

My goal is to be able to generate two types of dashboard gadgets:

1. A dashboard gadget with a pie chart showing each site and how many issues are related to each

2. A dashboard gadget with a pie chart showing each month and how many issues occurred in that month

The issue I run into is that when I build a pie chart by label, it shows both the month labels and the site labels. is there any way to prune labels that don't match a certain format from the pie chart? I cannot just filter on specific labels since each issue will have multiple labels, so filtering on the months will still show the sites in the widget.

2 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Try this.

1. create and save a filter like this - project = myproject and labels in (a,b,d,r)
  2. add a pie chart gadget and reference the saved filter and use labels as the metric.

your idea of a monthly view pie chart doesn’t work. Consider using the created vs resolved or a bar chart. That has time as the x-axis

mustafa.turan March 25, 2022

Doesn't work

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Hi @mustafa.turan ,

The pie chart works for me. Maybe you can explain a bit more about what you did and what the results are?

mustafa.turan March 25, 2022

There are hundreds of labels in a project (every ticket having many labels) and I wrote the exact filter as you described for 5 labels. When I create the pie chart using the filter and use labels as the metric, it basically brings all the other labels as well.

Ravi Nori May 13, 2022

That was limitation. Not only with labels, other fields like fixversion etc in JIRA. We cannot achieve this OOTB.

Like Kelly Goulart likes this
3 votes
Tom Harris - Old Street
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2019

Hi George,

I'm not sure this can easily be achieved using the built-in pie charts in Jira, but it might be possible using the app Custom Charts for Jira (available on Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center)

This app allows you to create custom pie charts, so you can select the color and order of the segments. For this use case, it also allows you to hide segments you don't want to see. There's an interactive playground that I've set up with some label examples so you can test this out yourself right now: https://www.oldstreetsolutions.com/custom-charts-for-jira

As you can have multiple labels on an issue this means that the "Total: 4 issues" link at the bottom of the chart won't actually link to a valid search (for the same reason you can't form the JQL yourself) but hiding segments directly on the chart allows you to display the correct data. This would be a manual process when you create each dashboard chart.

Hopefully that's a solution to your issue :)

Custom_Charts_for_Jira.png

Suggest an answer