Is it possible to set resolution on a per project or per screen basis?

Leo Catallo July 18, 2013

Hi, looking at resolution field I realize that some values do not make sense in some scenarios. For example, I do not need to see "Cannot reproduce" resolution on a Greenhopper user story. Likewise, I don't want to see "fixed" on a subtask since I already have "done".

Is it possible to make the resolution field have show different values, based on which screen it is on?

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

You can define different resolutions per workflow. In this case, you will have different workflows for different projects and/or issuetypes.

See workflow properties jira.field.resolution.exclude and jira.field.resolution.include : http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+Properties

Leo Catallo July 18, 2013

Thanks, however this "

• We do not recommend using all of these types of workflow properties as we cannot guarantee that some data and operations (e.g. bulk operations) will not be broken. Hence, use these types of workflow properties at your own risk!

"

kind of frightens :)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

I am not sure why that warning is there but I can say for sure that a large number of customers use it and it is not broken in the past few years (starting 3.x to 6.x). I will leave it to you though ;)

shivamdu May 24, 2017

Looks like this is not working for me.

The global default value in my case is "Unresolved" and one of the project wanted it to be "Open". So this is what I did.

In the workflow of the chosen project I added the properties as below for the "Create" transition

jira.field.resolution.include=10200. I published this workflow and created a new issue expecting the Resolution field to be populated with "Open" only but it did not. Am I missing something?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

first, Unresolved (the out of the box version) is a special value. It is NULL in the database.  If you set a resolution value to Open and then set it for default you are, in JIRA code, resolving the issue and the built in filters/reports will show everything as resolved. 

Second, the include option is designed to only list the included values when the resolution select list is presented in THAT workflow transition. It doesn't set it. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

@Sivakumar Sokkalingam - you *must* rename that "unresolved" resolution on your list immediately, and probably "open" as well, it's making your data utter nonsense.

As Joe says, you need the resolution field to be empty when an issue is not resolved.  Resolutions named "open", "unresolved", "unfinished" and so on are wrong.  If you have any of these, you need to rename them to "do not use" or something equally clear to the users that they should not be using them.

Like Dan Knapton likes this
shivamdu May 25, 2017

@Joe Thanks for your response.

First --> Agree. But some of our teams are fine with that

Second --> Does it mean the other resolution values should not show up. Understand the "set" part.

@Nic Unfortunately some of our teams wanted to have "Open" as a resolution value.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2017

No.  It's not often I get so blunt about these conversations, but

Your teams are wrong.

It's not an opinon or a point of view, they're just wrong.  They have put you in a place where you have broken data which contradicts itself.

You need to work out why they want this, and that should tell you where they got their thinking incorrect, and show you how to set it up so that they can do whatever it was without breaking the data.

Your job as an admin is to fix this.  Frankly, if I got hold of this system, I'd change it instantly, without asking, to indicate that it's broken and should not be used.  Then get them to justify why you should change it back (they won't be able to, because they're wrong)

Like # people like this
Reg Hawkins November 22, 2017

Use the status/status category for open

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2017

You can't, it's nonsense.  Please have a re-read of the above.

Dan Knapton January 12, 2024

I have had to .exclude the resolution code of Done in all our workflows that Jira automatically adds when you use boards to move issues to Done for this same reason.  Keeping it in the list made it our technicians #1 choice - producing meaningless data.

Suggest an answer