Is it possible to rename a label?

Hi,

I'm using JIRA 5.1.7 build 786 for my bugtracking purposes and I have a number of tickets labeled with, say, 'Label_A'. Now I'd like to rename the label to 'Label_B'. As far as I understand there's no way to do it using Jira UI, so I thought changing the backend data dictionary would do the trick. I'm using PostgreSQL as the backend, so I stopped Jira, logged in to PostgreSQL using pgAdmin and updated the public.label table, effectively replacing all 'Label_A' with 'Label_B'.

However, having started Jira back again, I saw that there's still 'Label A' listed on my project's Labels tab, moreover, it behaves like it's actually there, i.e. an advanced search with WHERE clause like this:

project = PRJ and labels = Label_A

still returns all the tickets that were previously labelled with LabelA, but if I click on any of the search results the ticket then shows correct current label (LabelB).

So the question is - what did I miss? How can I correctly rename a label in the data dictionary? Is there some kind of cache I have to fluch before Jira recognizes my changes?

5 answers

1 accepted

You have to reindex here: /secure/admin/IndexAdmin.jspa

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Search+Indexing

Thanks! It did the trick :)

Just curious - why didn't you use bulk edit to change the label?

Well, I used bulk adding a label once and it removed all existing labels, so since then I didn't even consider doing it again :) However, I think you're right, in this case that might've helped me.

Ah, yeah I should have asked if there were other labels. I do wish there was a way to bulk add labels (instead of current bulk replace labels functionality)...

:)

rflagg from AMR?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 35m ago in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

7 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you