Is it possible to rename a label?

Randall Flagg February 24, 2013

Hi,

I'm using JIRA 5.1.7 build 786 for my bugtracking purposes and I have a number of tickets labeled with, say, 'Label_A'. Now I'd like to rename the label to 'Label_B'. As far as I understand there's no way to do it using Jira UI, so I thought changing the backend data dictionary would do the trick. I'm using PostgreSQL as the backend, so I stopped Jira, logged in to PostgreSQL using pgAdmin and updated the public.label table, effectively replacing all 'Label_A' with 'Label_B'.

However, having started Jira back again, I saw that there's still 'Label A' listed on my project's Labels tab, moreover, it behaves like it's actually there, i.e. an advanced search with WHERE clause like this:

project = PRJ and labels = Label_A

still returns all the tickets that were previously labelled with LabelA, but if I click on any of the search results the ticket then shows correct current label (LabelB).

So the question is - what did I miss? How can I correctly rename a label in the data dictionary? Is there some kind of cache I have to fluch before Jira recognizes my changes?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

You have to reindex here: /secure/admin/IndexAdmin.jspa

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Search+Indexing

Randall Flagg February 25, 2013

Thanks! It did the trick :)

0 votes
DJ Roth October 20, 2015

rflagg from AMR?

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

Ah, yeah I should have asked if there were other labels. I do wish there was a way to bulk add labels (instead of current bulk replace labels functionality)...

:)

0 votes
Randall Flagg February 25, 2013

Well, I used bulk adding a label once and it removed all existing labels, so since then I didn't even consider doing it again :) However, I think you're right, in this case that might've helped me.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

Just curious - why didn't you use bulk edit to change the label?

Suggest an answer