Is it possible to remove fields from a jira field configuration ?

Field Configuration contains loads of custom fields that are not applicable to all projects.Is there a possibility to remove fields from those projects fields configurations?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

The whole point of a field configuration is to allow you to show/hide all the possible fields. So no, you actually need them all there. Even if you've used field context to remove fields from projects, you still need them in the field configurations, in case you decide to re-include them.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the update.This means that there is no option to remove fields from a field configuraion?

Er, I already said you can't.

I already managed to remove a custom field from a Field Configuration scheme, but the better solution is to hide it, otherwise you could loose Information, moving issues to other projects, wehre the field is absolutely not there. I will check, how I have deleted some fields in a field configuration.

I'd strongly recommend that you don't do this. Removing a field from a field config scheme requires hacking core code, which is unsupported, an upgrade nightmare and a lot of work for no real gain.

when i try to remove am getting a worning says that "Delete Custom Field: XYZ Confirm that you want to delete this custom field. Note: Deleting a custom field removes all matching values from all issues." is it possible to remove a duplicate field which is available in custom field without loosing the matching value?

No. Because the field contains the data. That's a bit like asking "can I remove the bottle from this bottle of water and keep all the water?" Where does the water go? You no longer have a container for it. If you want to keep it, you have to put it somewhere else. Use bulk-edit to place a copy of the data in the other field that you're keeping, then you can delete the duplicate.

But this is not good i think. I have just 2 fields in a screen but i get error which says some fields are mandatory.. but if I want to make them non-mandatory, i need to do the changes for all the 100s of fields where i am just using 2 fields from my screen.. -- a FC should be for the specific screen that i use. 

Field configurations are for issues, not screens. 

I agree with you - I don't like them either, their functions should be distributed out into other places in my opinion

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

255 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you