Is it possible to only change the statuses for Epic Issue Type?

Dawn Rodney May 22, 2023

I am interested in changing the Epic Statuses from To Do, In Progress, Done to include Released, Launched, etc. Is it possible to do that for Epics only? Or if I change the Epics it will add those Statuses to all of the Issue Types for a Workflow?

Thanks

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Dawn Rodney

Yes you can do that. Simply create the new workflow including the required statuses and transition you want. Associate workflow to the workflows scheme or you can create new one if you want.

Associate Workflow scheme to the project.

For more information you may please have a look at - Manage issue workflows 

and Youtube video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AppTNcNfFuk 

Regards,
Mayur

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hello @Dawn Rodney 

It depends on whether or not the Epics share their workflow with the other issue types. If they do, and you don't want the other issue types affected, then you will need to create a separate workflow for the Epics.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Dawn Rodney May 22, 2023

Company managed. 

So would I create a Workflow just for Epics? How would I then associate the Epic workflow with a project? I can't have multiple workflows for a project, meaning, I add a new Epic Workflow just for Epics and also add a workflow just for other Issue Types, e.g., Story, Task, sub-task, etc.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

Hello @Dawn Rodney 

For some reason my Answer to your post and your reply disappeared. I don't have a copy of my answer, but your reply was:

Company managed. 

So would I create a Workflow just for Epics? How would I then associate the Epic workflow with a project? I can't have multiple workflows for a project, meaning, I add a new Epic Workflow just for Epics and also add a workflow just for other Issue Types, e.g., Story, Task, sub-task, etc.

Yes, you would create a workflow just for the Epics.

Workflow Schemes are associated to Company Managed projects. In a Workflow Scheme, individual Workflows are associated to issue types. So your Workflow Scheme would have two Workflows; one associated with Epics and one associated with the other issue types.

You do need to check if the Workflow Scheme used by the project is also used by any other project. If it is, and you make a change to it to add another workflow, that will impact all projects that use that scheme. In that case you would need to create a new Workflow Scheme and add to it your new Epic workflow and the workflow that is in the original scheme. Then associate that new scheme to your project.

The links provided by @Mayur Jadhav will help illustrate the process.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events