Is it possible to modify the DB through an External Tool / Process

Assuming I am running JIRA Software on a Server,

I need to modify the SQL DB through an external tool to obtain or modify a field.

for example:

{{customfield_10060}}

I want to be able to modify that later on by having an external Form/Process send into the JIRA's DB and modify that custom field.

is this possible? 

4 answers

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

@Bruno Sergio Pongetti Goldemberg - It is possible but I would not recommend it.  If you are using an external form I would suggest using the Jira API.  https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.6.1/

ok, let me go further and ask this:

After the ticket has been resolved and done.

Can I send on the E-mail "Your ticket has been solved" a (Button) through HTML

(something like this:   <a href="Website/CODE/ETC"> Bad </a> then <a href="Website/CODE/ETC"> OK </a> and finally a <a href="Website/CODE/ETC"> Good </a>) 

so I can get it to modify my custom field on the ticket in JIRA? 

That wouldn't be an outside form and it would get the job done , right? 

Any suggestions on how to code that?

not rly good with RESTful API (I know its possible by doing for example:

https://brunogoldemberg.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/DEM-146/(something here to set value of field as "1")

https://brunogoldemberg.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/DEM-146/(something here to set value of field as "2")

https://brunogoldemberg.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/DEM-146/(something here to set value of field as "3")

if you can point me on right direction on how to do that it be all I need :)

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

@Bruno Sergio Pongetti Goldemberg - Are you trying to get them to provide user feedback on the issue, a rating?   If so I would suggest looking at Jira Service Management.  It has what you are describing built-in and allows the customer to rate their experience.  Have you looked at that product.  

issue is that the customers need to be log in to provide Feedback and that is "not" a viable option......

but as I said, I need a way to get feedback from a non-registed customer through Email that they can click on a HTML Button or something and it gets attached to the Ticket that they opened.

if you could provide me with an example or a solution it be much appreciated.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

@Bruno Sergio Pongetti Goldemberg Jira service management does not require the customer to have a Jira licence, it provides them with a portal that they can review past and current issues they have submitted, the portal also allows them to submit issues and you to collect information at the time of submittal.  It has built-in feedback and rating that does what you are talking about. They can rate you by clicking an email button that records the rating and takes them to a page where they can provide additional comments about the rating.  You should check out the free cloud product and see if it meets your needs.

Like Joe Pitt likes this
0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2021

Hi  @Bruno Sergio Pongetti Goldemberg

I agree with Brant to use Jira Service Management own's "Customer Satisfaction Surveys (CSAT)" and also agree with Nic not to touch the database for this.

Just for completeness - here is the documentation in case you want to give this convenient option a try:

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Do not do this.

Most people who suggest modifying a Jira database with SQL fail to recognise that they don't really understand it well enough, run their "clever" query and end up with a corrupt database.   

You are totally unsupported from the moment you do it as well

On top of that, the only safe way to do it is to stop Jira, take a full backup of the database, restore it somewhere else to prove it is a good backup, run your SQL, restart Jira and then run a full locking re-index.  You can probably see that that is hours, possibly days, of downtime.

I agree, but as I said, I need a way to get feedback from a non-registed customer through Email that they can click on a HTML Button or something and it gets attached to the Ticket that they opened.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Oh, well, I wouldn't have got anywhere near the database for that.

If you've got Jira Service-Management, then you could set them up as customers (it does mean registering, but not an account that costs anything).

If you don't, then you could ask them to send emails to a monitored box, and have an "email handler" that uses a dummy or dedicated user as the reporter instead of a user account.   (JSM has an equivalent so customers can do all of it by email, it's a bit more powerful than the email handler for plain Jira)

Or you could do that as a dummy, and write your html so that it sends an email for them.

Or you could write html that doesn't bother with email, but pokes something in over the REST API

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Directly modifying the JIRA database may lead to corruption and you'll be on your own to fix it. Just don't do it

I am taking all this in consideration too.

just checking my options.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events