Is it possible to make specific issue types read-only to specific user roles?

duggajj April 11, 2019

One problem my software team has struggled with is how to allow user's within the Jira to view customer requirements without the ability to edit them.  We have not been able to figure out how to set a group called jira-developers to view an issue type named customer requirements without being able to edit those issue types.  We only want our jira-administrators group to be able to edit that issue type.  

To our knowledge there is no way to give a user group read only access to specific issue types.  It seems that you can give read only to all issue types or none of them.

Does anyone know if it is possible to allow read only access to specific issue types in Jira?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2019

You can do this, but it is a little obscure.  At the heart of this trick is "different workflows".

Let us assume a very simple case -

• You have one project where "Customer Requirement" type issues need to be protected
  • All the other issue types can be edited by anyone
  • The project is not sharing workflows or workflow configuration with other projects
  • You have a single workflow for the project, with the workflow set as the "default" in the project's workflow scheme

So,

• Copy the existing workflow and give it a new name (like "project-x workflow for customer requirements")
  • Edit the project's workflow scheme, adding a line to it that says "for Customer Requirement issue type, use the new workflow" (and leave the default as it is)
  • Edit the new workflow, going into each status and adding a "property" to it for who can edit.  As an example jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators  would limit issue edit to the jira-administrators group when the issue is in that status.
Sally Wheeler March 27, 2023

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2019

You can use an issue security scheme. The downside is, since you only want certain issue types controlled you can't apply the scheme to the project because it will hit every issue type. So you'll need to have the creator apply the issue scheme at creation time. There may be a solution with scripting. I don't use that so I can't help there. 

duggajj April 11, 2019

Are you saying at project creation or issue type creation.

If issue type creation what if I wanted this level of security on user story issue types?

Suggest an answer