Is it possible to make a custom field display on the main part of the issue in Cloud ("new view")?

Esther Strom December 12, 2018

We're in the process of moving to Cloud, and I'm running into an issue that could be a dealbreaker for us.

We have a number of multi-line text fields that, in our on-prem install, use the wiki-style renderer to allow formatting. These fields are for things like acceptance criteria, which can sometimes be several paragraphs long.

In cloud, the field (along with all of my other custom fields) gets pushed to the new sidebar. The only "arranging" I can do is change the order of the fields in that sidebar. This doesn't help, as longer fields are all but useless in this kind of view. Here's a sample of what a custom field (which is set to use the wiki renderer) looks like in Cloud:

jira.pngIs there any way to make specific fields display in the main part of the ticket (below the Description field, for example)? I know that for now, we can turn off the new view, but Atlassian has made it clear that at some point not very far in the future, we will not have the option to display the "old layout", so we need to get this figured out.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2018

Hello,

It is not possible to do what you are trying to do in the New Issue View

Esther Strom December 13, 2018

So basically once the option to use the old view goes away, the system is going to be completely unusable for anyone with custom multi-line fields. I wish I knew what Atlassian was thinking when they decided this was a good idea...

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2018

I am not sure that this option goes away until the new view is fixed.

But what is "fixed"? That kind of field is still pretty useless when cramped in a small sidebar. Unless "fixed" means that I can move my fields to the main part of the issue, then "fixed" doesn't really matter.

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2018

Hello @Esther Strom

I'm Jack from Gebsun Support team.

As @Alexey Matveev  mentioned, it is not possible right now to move the custom field but New Issue View suffers from many other problems, e.g. no Comment Security, no Labels, etc. 

I expect that many of these problems will be solved before Old Issue View goes away. 

Also, the following page says 

we don't support changing field order in the new issue view just yet

which suggests that order of the fields (and maybe location) is on the roadmap.

Maybe someone from Atlassian team can shed more light on this.

BTW. It is nice to see that you are using our Issue Checklist. Let us know in case of any questions or problems.

Cheers,
Jack

Thanks, @Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]. I'm trying to believe that things will be fixed, but based on answers I've seen in other threads from Atlassian employees, it doesn't look like what I want is ever going to be an option. Yes, they're going to allow rearranging of fields *within* the sidebar, but I have yet to see anything saying they will be supporting custom fields in the main part of the ticket.

We are definitely going to be using Issue Checklist! It's one of the few things I've discovered during this migration that I'm finding to be better than what we can do in on-prem.

Suggest an answer