Is it possible to log time via a negative amount to make an offsetting adjustment to a work log entry?

estew April 29, 2013

We are using both JIRA work logs and Tempo worklogs to record time against specific accounts. The data from Jira via Tempo is exported and will be loaded into our business system. The developer on this project said to us if the worklog entry is incorrect (they log 40 hours instead of 4 hours), we cannot change the original work log but instead must make an adjusting worklog entry. (Accounting Journal entry). In order to do what they need - I would have to enter a work log of -36h but JIRA and Tempo do not accept a negative time value (which I know in MOST cases does not make sense). Do you have a recommendation on what we could do to offest too much time associated with an account if we cannot edit the specific worklog directly?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2013

Hey there, estew.

JIRA by default does not accept negative values when you log work against an issue. It is the validation that is being set for the Time Tracking fields. Anyway, how about you remove the logged work from the History tab and try to log in the correct time again? Have you considered that?

Warm regards,

Danial

0 votes
estew April 29, 2013

Thanks Danial - I can easily fix it on the JIRA side it is the accounting side that needs the adjusting time. I will live with a manual adjustment for now.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2013

Hey there again, estew.

You are most welcome. Glad to be able to share my thoughts on this. Hope the manual alteration will work on your side. Good luck!

Warm regards,

Danial

Manfred Hackl May 9, 2018

is there any update on this after 5 years, we would need to make imports of time logs and have a possibility to make corrections

Suggest an answer