Is it possible to limit the ability to assign fixVersion to Developer or QA lead users in Jira ?

Ashwin Kupatkar November 16, 2016

i.e .... only Dev and QA leads should be able to assign fixversion(s) and rest of the folks should have readonly access to it.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

Hi Ashwin,

The ability to set a fix version on issues is tied to the 'Resolve Issues' permission. Search for 'Resolve Issues' on this page.

Resolve issues

Permission to resolve and reopen issues based on the workflow condition. This also includes the ability to set the 'Fix For version' field for issues. Requires the Transition issues permission. Also see the Close Issues permission.

So maybe you could set up your permission scheme so that only Dev and QA leads have this permission.

Additional Info:

If you want to add other conditions (such as checking a label), then you could look into controlling this using workflow conditions.This gets a bit more complicated, and will depend a lot on how you have your JIRA instance set up. But I'll do my best to give you an idea of how it might be done.

You could do something like the following steps:

1. Set up the screen scheme for your project/issue type, so that you have:
    • a 'View' screen (which includes the "Fix Version" field) 
      and
    • an 'Edit' screen (which does not include the "Fix Version" field). 
    This effectively will make "Fix Version" read-only for everyone.

2. Set up a custom screen called something like "Set Fix Version Screen". Include "Fix Version" on this screen. 

3. Set up the workflow for project/issue type so that it has a "Set Fix Version" transition somewhere, with 'Transition View' set to your "Set Fix Version Screen". You could consider using a global transition for this:

global-transition.jpg

4. Put conditions on the transition, so that it can: 
    • only be executed by your Dev and QA leads (the "User is in project role"  condition or perhaps the "Permission Condition" would be ones to look at)
      and
    • only be executed if label = "xyz" (try the "Value Field" condition. Depending on what version of JIRA you use, you might need Suite Utilities for JIRA for this one.)

I haven't tried using the value field condition on a label, so not sure how well it will work.

It's difficult to help further without knowing specific details of how your JIRA is set up, so I'm just trying to give a general idea. Please consider carefully if something like this would work for you. Test it in a non-production JIRA instance if you can!

Hope this helps. Someone else might step in with a better suggestion.

Sam

Ashwin Kupatkar November 17, 2016

Sam Thank You very much for the ellaborate suggestion ..... i will check if this suits the requirement. smile Thank you.

But one drawback remain in this approach... this is limited during the transitioning of the issue. But what after that..... ????

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Making sure the "Fix Version" field is not available on the Edit screen means that the only way to change it is via the transition, which is restricted by the conditions.

It's up to you where in the workflow you put this transition. You can make it the transition which closes your issue, or make it available from any status (as shown in the screenshot I gave).

Sam 

Ashwin Kupatkar November 21, 2016

Thanks Sam... I will check that ... thumbs-up

0 votes
Ashwin Kupatkar November 17, 2016

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the input..... smile but their is one more catch .....

Can it be also used in conjunction with any specific label i.e let say if any issue has label "xyz" then only the dev/QA people should be able to assign the fix version otherwise not?

So basically their is an AND condition if only label ="xyz" and user ="Dev/QA" provide the permission to change the value of Fix Version

Thanks

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2016

Hi Ashwin,

I edited the answer to add some additional info which might give you an idea on how to proceed.

Sam

Suggest an answer