Is it possible to increase the limit for bulk change operation from 1000 to 5000 through plugin?

Megha Rana July 25, 2018

I tried changing the parameter jira.bulk.edit.limit.issue.count  in jira-application/properties file .  But that is hampering the performance of application. Suggest me any alternative way through which bulk change operation's limit can be increased.

3 answers

1 vote
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

There are certain set of best practices for any tool to perform well - I think you should stick to that instead.

And like @Earl McCutcheon suggested, I don't see a problem making BULK CHANGES in a batch of 5.

Adding memory will pump up the performance to some extent but how long shall we keep increasing the memory just because next time we would wish to do a BULK UPDATE of say 50000 issues in one go ?

I have always believed that sometimes even our way of using helps in enhancing the application performance.

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2018

Hello Megha,

The method you noted is how you are able to increase the limit but there is a limit for a reason & the performance hit when increased is the side affect of doing this.  Bulk operations are slow and resource intensive.  It's not recommended to increase this value.

The best approach would be to 5 batches of 1000 issues at a time for the bulk operation to spread out the action and avoid overloading the system.

Alternatively you could try Increasing Jira application memory to allow more resource availability during the bulk operation, by bumping up the available heap space, but this again would be a sub optimal approach as you would need to take the instance offline to adjust the paramaters, restart to run the bulk operation, then go offline again to revert the memory setting to avoid continued performance issues by having too much unused memory available.

Regards,
Earl 

0 votes
Valiantys Support July 4, 2021

Someone is going to find this answer here and go "well I better not change this parameter". 

Bulk editing being set at 1,000 is an arbitrary value set by Atlassian. It is way too small. You should be fine to change this. 

Then again, if you are editing more then 1,000 issues and while editing those issues your system is SLOW, you need to batch your editing OR upgrade your system. 

What I would be doing is installing Java Melody app, monitoring your memory, your CPU and your database utilization while running a bulk edit. 

Your architecture should be able to cope with this. ... 

Although bulk updates should ideally be done after hours or at low utilization times.

Suggest an answer