Is it possible to have a burn-down chart based on filter as opposed to a sprint?

christopher_brooks May 13, 2024

Is it possible to have a burn-down chart based on filter as opposed to a sprint?

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Hello @christopher_brooks 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Can you provide more information about the problem that you are trying to solve?

If you didn't use a Sprint as a way to circumscribe the content of the burndown, what would you want to use?

Have you looked at the Cumulative Flow Diagram? It isn't exactly a Burndown, but it might provide you what you want. You could create a new board based on a saved filter to get the report to reflect only the issues in which you are interested.

Thanks much for the response!  I'm a bit of a Jira newbie, but here is the situation. I work and data governance and I am tracking applications that migrating to the cloud.  In order for them to migrate, they most open several stories to prove compliance.  So I am tracking stories across teams, products and sprints.  I'm trying to gauge how long it takes for certain stories to be successfully closed. I will look into a cumulative flow diagram.  Any other tips you could offer would be appreciated.   Thanks for your help!!

Follow Q if you don't mind.  Do I have to me the owner of the board for the flow diagram solution to work?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

I'm trying to gauge how long it takes for certain stories to be successfully closed.

A burndown chart is not going to tell you how long it took to complete issues. A burndown chart is designed to show you progress against a body of work; just what is done vs. what is not done. A Sprint is one way to organize a body of work. A Sprint burndown would show you that you (for instance) started with 10 issues in the sprint and over the time of the sprint it will show the decrease in the number of unresolved issues. But that doesn't really tell you anything about how long it took to resolve the issues.

The Cumulative Flow Diagram is also not going to tell you how long it took for issues to be closed.

The more applicable report would be the Control Chart.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRASOFTWARECLOUD/Control+Chart

I don't have a lot of experience with those, but I believe that is designed to give you information about how long it takes for issues to move through the workflow.

You might be satisfied with something more simple, like the number of days between when an issue is created and when it is "successfully closed".

Are the teams all using a standard workflow in the same way so that you can rely on an issue having the same status to indicate "closed" regardless of the project in which that issue exists?

Is your organization logging time worked against issues? Do you want time worked, or do you want the difference between the date the issue was opened and when issue was closed? Or is there a different time period (i.e. from In Progress to Closed) that you'd want to analyze?

Jira doesn't currently provide a "time to resolution" calculation for issues except the issues in Jira Service Management projects. I'm guessing your teams are using Jira Software projects. I think the most applicable native report would be the Control Chart I mentioned above, but there are other ways to get the number of days between when an issue was opened and when it was resolved. There are not, unfortunately, other native reports for that.

Your environment may have extended reporting capabilities if the administrators have added third party apps to the system. You may want to reach out to the administrators with your request to find out if there is already an app available that would be useful.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2024

Follow Q if you don't mind.  Do I have to me the owner of the board for the flow diagram solution to work?

No, but you do have to have access to the board and to all the issues included in the board.

christopher_brooks May 15, 2024

Thanks Trudy for taking time to respond to me, I appreciate the input!

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

Hi @christopher_brooks,

This is not possible with default Jira reports and tools. But you can easily do this by using the Release Burndown Burnup Chart gadget offered by our Great Gadgets app.

image.png

This gadget uses a filter or JQL as data source (exactly as you want), can include the sub-tasks, works with any type of estimates and can make forecast.

Find more about this gadget (and the others offered by the same app) in these articles:

You can start with a 1-month free trial. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at support@stonikbyte.com.

Hope this helps.

Danut.

Suggest an answer