We noticed that if a user concurrently takes Excel exports of query results, it causes a huge performance impact. It is normal human behaviour that if a web page does not respond for a certain period, they click whatever the link again & again until it responds. Having the same Excel export request makes causes JIRA freeze after some time.
This seems to be a very easy denial of service attack.
* Is it possible to disable Excel exports globally?
* Is it possible to restrict Excel exports for a particular role?
* Is it possible to limit the number of Excel export requests accepted from server per minute?
1. Yes, disable the plugin that provides it
2. No, it's global
3. Not in Jira, but I understand that you can throttle it if you've got a web-server in front of Jira (I'm not an expert here, but there's an engineer nearby who does something like that on another system here, using Apache)
+4, you can also limit the number of issues they can export, which will cap the load from a single run, although that affects RSS and so-on as well.
Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs