Is it possible to custimize the burndown chart ?

qiandong September 8, 2020

Hi Atlassian community,

I noticed that, in the JIRA board -> report ->burndown chart,

the curve will go down only if a task is closed.

But in our project, most of the jira will be move into "verify" status for further verification,  and there's no more for us to do for the JIRAs under "verify".

So I'm wondering if we can configure the burndown chart to calculate the "verify" JIRAs as done ?  (for a better burndown chart)

Thanks !

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2020

You could put the "verify" status in the "done" column with your "closed" status.

Darrel Jackson September 9, 2020

Yeah, I think technically it would be mapping the "Verify" status to the statusCategory "Done". This is fine as long as no one else is using the "Verify" status in other workflows as an "In Progress" statusCategory.

Jira thinks it's "done" which I think is fine for the team given "...there's no more for us to do for the JIRAs under 'verify'".

EDIT: Ignore me, Nic has corrected my understanding. Thank you, Nic.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2020

Other usage of a status is irrelevant to the current team (board).  You don't care how other people might be using it.  The status category is shared, but but does not affect what column your team puts the status in.

Does the Sprint Burndown chart report off issues in the final column of the Sprint Board? Even if those statuses aren't in the Done statusCategory? Or does it report off issues in the Done statusCategory? I always assumed the latter. Would be good to know for my own knowledge.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2020

The only thing the burndown looks at is "is the issue done?".  That means the "done" column on the board - the last one, whatever you choose to call it.

Like Darrel Jackson likes this

Wow, that's really cool. I learned something today :)

I never knew you could have non-"Done" statuses in the last column and it will treat it as "Done" from a burndown perspective.

0 votes
qiandong September 9, 2020

Thx everybody for the answers/comments,

I just moved the "verify status" to "done" col, let me check if the burn-down chart will be better this sprint.

0 votes
Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2020

You can create a follow up task with Automation for Jira. That’s something I do sometimes. Instead of building one huge workflow with a twenty column board where everybody has its own definition of done I create short and simple alway the same Workflows but different issue types or components. When a task is done for one department a new task gets created for the next and the next and so on. 

You can then have different boards (all looking the same but with different filters) for each department or you can split one board with swimlanes. The follow up task can even be created in a completely different project. So you can have your developers work with scrum but you testers with kanban or a service desk project. 

The sky is the limit. You just have to find the right way that fits your needs. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events