Is it possible to create custom JQL functions for JIRAs Cloud installation?

Garry May March 9, 2015

So I've written and tested a custom JQL function following what I thought was cloud based tutorials but apparently they weren't!  When I attempt to include my addon on the market place (via the packaged up .jar) the "availability" is locked as "Only Server customers using products they host themselves"?  Please note, I have used Atlassian Connect to successful build other Cloud addons but I must have missed the bit of documentation re building Cloud based functions?

Has anyone out there successfully create a cloud usable function, if so - how?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2015

Nope, Connect does not allow you to create JQL functions (yet).  You can only do them in type-2 addons, which you cannot add to Cloud.

Garry May March 9, 2015

Thanks Nic, but there must be some way to do it as I see there is a Cloud addon called JQL Pro (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jql-pro) that promises the functionality I/we require. I'd use that but in trialing it we've found it is quite feature lite - let's say...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2015

Ah, I see. But it's not doing what you suggest. The addon scrapes data out of JIRA and then allows you to run queries on that. It does not add a JQL function. Doing that is the only approach I think you can do with a Connect addon. You certainly can do "Issue in hasLink(blocks)" with that method - scrape the issue for its links and iterate over them for the name of the link type.

Garry May March 10, 2015

ewww - that's just nasty! I see your point but if I take that approach then anytime a tricky query is required I'd end up having to create a new ACE addon/report or simply re-invent a new Issues Navigator (like JQL Pro are doing). That really is a shame, as in this case the proposed function really is just a small change/extension to the Issues Navigator, and would allow us to use other existing features like the Bulk Change tool and Export; without the need to re-invent the wheel as they say. Thanks for your assistance Nic and Kathryn.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2015

Yup, it is definitely not a solution I'd call "graceful" (Scraping a system to index it elsewhere when it's already got an index is never "graceful" IMHO) I'd raise the JQL function as a JIRA improvement over at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA (check to see if it's not already been raised if you can). If Atlassian accept it and implement it, Cloud will be the first to get it. (Let us know if you do that here, I'd vote for a generalised version of it)

Garry May March 10, 2015

I just searched the JIRA issue tracker and found several references to the type of issue I'm experiencing here.  i left my vote and comment on JRA-25640 :: JQL function for showing all issues linked to any issue by a given issue link type.

Please vote and encourage this body of work!

2 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

There is another add-on at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jql-extensions/cloud that also provides custom JQL in the Cloud. Not sure how it works though

1 vote
kitkat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2015

Those functions are generally not available for JIRA Cloud due to security precautions. It's highly unlikely that your function will work in the Cloud environment. Not knowing exactly what you have done, my analysis would be no. sad

Garry May March 9, 2015

Thanks for the quick response Kathryn. My function is pretty simple, given the Name of a Linkage type as a parameter it returns a list of Issues, i.e. it determines if an issue has a specific linkage inward or outward. An example of its JQL usage is: Issue in hasLink("Blocks").

0 votes
leon@atasio.com March 14, 2017

Entity Property module allows you to create custom JQL, refer to https://developer.atlassian.com/static/connect/docs/latest/modules/jira/entity-property.html

Suggest an answer