Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to create a custom epic issue type?

Hi all, 

I have seen this is not possible but all articles related are from a couple of years ago and I'd like to be sure this is still not possible in version 7.13.

Thank you

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Paula,

the articles are still correct. Epics are in a way unique but still a standard-issue type introduced and utilized by Jira Software.

You only have two different types of issue types in Jira - standard issue types and sub-task issue types. Creating another entity similar to an Epic is not possible by default.
Does this answer your question?

Best, Max

If I could put anything on a wish list, it would be to make Epic a level as opposed to a static issue type, and give people the ability to create custom issue types.  We're not all admins on all instances, folks.  We can't just poof an "Epic Type" single select list field into existence like Zeus creating Athena.

Will this be possible in the future? We also need this ability. Thank you.

Hi Paula,

Jira is fully customizable tool as per the customer requirement. Further regarding your question, yes you can create the custom Epic Issue type within your instance. But most of the EPIC issue type needed functions will be limited. You will loose the Epic link, Epic color, Epic status etc functionalities for the custom Epic Issue type, those are by default comes with Jira System EPIC issue type.

Hope this is clear for you.

~Tushar

Hi @Tushar.Kamble 

How do you do it? 

I have tried and I only see the options that @Max Foerster - Decadis AG  mentioned so I'm not sure how can I add all the epic functions that I need.

Regards,

Paula

Like # people like this

@Tushar.Kamble - that's unfortunately just renaming, not creating a new issue type at that level.

No matter what happens, there will only be one issue type at that level in the hierarchy.  Its limiting, and its disappointing.

I know, someone will say something something methodology something something rules etc.

Not everyone drank that Kool Aid :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you