Is it possible to create a JIRA API Token using server rather than cloud based version

Donald Skanes August 6, 2018

We have various automation and test scripts integrated with Jira (server version) using basic authentication. Obviously this may be a security concern since users/passwords can be passed in clear text is not using SSL.

Does SSL provide enough security such that passwords would be encrypted?

You can obfuscate using base 64 in Jira however decoding base 64 is easy also.

Is OAauth the only other way to integrate with the JIRA API for multiple user scripts?

Why is API Token only available for CLOUD based implementations? Is there any future update that will support this in SERVER based implementations?

2 answers

1 vote
Roman Bubiakin _Wombats Corp_ October 24, 2019

Hello @Donald Skanes ,

Here it is API Tokens for Jira

Hope my plugin will bring more security to your automation

Cheers,

Roman

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2018

Hi Donald,

API token is only available for Cloud as you have discovered, so currently it's only possible to authenticate using Basic or OAuth:

I know it has been requested in the past but wasn't implemented due to lack of traction. I've created a feature request below for this, so please feel free to vote on it and follow, as well as comment with your usage case: 

In the meantime, you'll want to use either Basic or OAuth for your authentication purposes.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer