Is it possible to copy/replicate a field from the epic for all associated Issues?

Lara Sousa March 25, 2023

Hello!!

I would like to know if it is possible to copy/replicate a field from the epic for all associated issues?

Is it possible to create automations for existing issues or only when a new one is created?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2023

Hi @Lara Sousa,

Yes, you can copy fields from an epic to all related issues with automation. You always need a trigger to start your action and that can be many things, as you can see here (the list below is not even complete yet):

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 14.07.43.png

After you specified the desired trigger, all you need to do to copy the desired field to related issues, you need to set up a related issues branch and determine which field you want to copy to the related issues. Your rule could look somewhat like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 14.15.57.png

In this example, I am copying the due date field from the Epic across to all issues linked to the same epic (just a random example).

The trick to copy field values in the edit issue action, is to click on the ... button next to the field you are trying to edit and select copy from. You can then specify where you want to copy the value from (in my case, I chose to use the epic issue as the source). 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2023

@Lara Sousa , regarding your comment:

To be more specific, the epic has a label that I would like to replicate for all tasks that are associated with it.I've already managed to configure an automation for when creating a new task, to copy this label from the epic, but for the already existing tasks, I couldn't. Do you know if it's possible?

The related issues branch takes care of it. You may want to use a scheduled trigger to run the rule at the desired time and add a JQL filter there to specify the Epic you would like to update the related issues for.

Hope this helps!

Lara Sousa March 25, 2023

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout 

It helped a lot!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS