Is it possible to copy a custom field value into the default Priority field?

Alex Degregori August 21, 2020

Hey!

I was curious if it is possible to copy a custom field value (single choice dropdown) into the default Priority field? 

I've looked at Automation, but there seems to only be the option to set a value depending on if there are changes in the trigger, not copy the value from my custom field into the default Priority field. Using the Additional fields section in Automation, is there a way to connect the two? 

I'd like to point out, the custom field does have the same "values" as the default Priority field: lowest, low, medium...etc. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2020

Hi @Alex Degregori 

There might be - but isn't "copy to" and "set value based on" the same thing?

I'd think the easier method here would be:

1. Trigger: Field Value Changed - based on <<Field Name>>
  2. Branch: Current Issue
  3. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - <<Field Name>> equals Highest
  4. Action: Edit Issue - set Priority to Highest
  5. Branch: Current Issue
  6. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - <<Field Name>> equals High
  7. Action: Edit Issue - set Priority to High
  8. Branch: Current Issue
  9. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - <<Field Name>> equals Medium
  10. Action: Edit Issue - set Priority to Medium
  11. Branch: Current Issue
  12. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - <<Field Name>> equals Low
  13. Action: Edit Issue - set Priority to Low
  14. Branch: Current Issue
  15. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - <<Field Name>> equals Lowest
  16. Action: Edit Issue - set Priority to Lowest

^ This should give you the same result :)

Ste

Rawlo Smith February 5, 2021

Hello @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Can you please elaborate where I would put these Trigger, Branch, and Conditions?  I don't recall seeing such options anywhere in any of the configuration settings.  I would love to use your solution, I just don't know where to apply those steps.

I want the priority calculated and set based on details added when the ticket is created. 

Right now via JSU or JMWE I can copy to Priority field on workflow transition and it works but only on transitions after the issue has been created so all the new issues are missing the priority level.  I have never gotten it to work in the create transition (calculated priority will populate into other fields upon create but not in to the Priority field). 

Thanks!

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2021

@Rawlo Smith there's absolutely no reason for JMWE not being able to set the Priority using a post function on the Create transition. Can you share your attempt with JMWE?

Rawlo Smith February 8, 2021

@David Fischer   For JMWE, I am using the post function option "Copy value from field to field (JMWE app)"  I have tried moving it to all possible positions around the the original 4 default post functions (I have done the same thing with Copy Value from Other Fields (JSU)).   

I am copying a value from a calculated field.   Depending on the position in the post function list,  I either end up with Priority not being set at all (blank) or being set to the default value rather than value I am trying to copy into the field.

I can copy that calculated field into Comments upon create so I know the calculated result is available.

I can also copy the calculated field to Priority if  I do the same post function between the first and second workflow step after "Create" (Open and In Progress respectively) rather than between Create and the first workflow step (Open).  So I don't believe it is not a field compatibility issue. 

I am working on Server  v8.5, so maybe I need to get Jira up to the latest version..  Looking around I see the Trigger, Branch, Conditions options you listed above look like they are either part of the cloud offering so maybe that is why I have not seen them, is that correct?

Thank you,

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Hi @Rawlo Smith ,

the Trigger, Branch, Conditions options are for Jira Automation - it wasn't me who mentioned them.

As for copying from a custom field to the Priority field in the Create transition, the post-function needs to be placed before the "Creates the issue originally" post-function for best results. And there is no reason why it wouldn't work, in any Jira version. 

What is the type of the source field? And does its value, as selected on the Create screen, return exactly the name of a valid Priority?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events