Is it possible to convert components into labels?

We have one project with bunch of components, and a few projects that don't use that field. We were thinking combining projects, but we still want to know which "project" an issue belongs to. We were thinking of using components for that. But we don't want to necessarily throw away our older finer grain use of compnents. So we were thinking can we move the components to labels and free up components for use?

This raises the question why not use labels for the new thing and keep components? The only reason I can think of that semantically components are close to what we want, and components can have default assignees, which might be nice.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I believe it's not possible to convert components to labels all at once. But you can query for just one component then bulk change those issues to have one label. Gets tricky if you have multi-component issues or you already have labels, because when you bulk change to a label it wipes out previous labels. But with this approach you can roughly do one operation per component instead of one operation per issue.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

573 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you