Is it possible to configure the default Story Points field to be a Drop Down List?

ben October 15, 2016

I wish to use a list of pre-determined Story Point values (1,3,5,8,13,20,40,100) as a Drop Down Field when creating a new Issue. I have already got the Story Point field configured to show on all Issue Types and screens, but I would like to go one step further and make this a drop down list so the team all put in the same standard numbers when estimating Story Points. 

I know I can add a Custom Field Type in Administration - Fields - Custom Fields - Add Custom Field - Select Field Type, however, I presume that doing so would defeat the purpose of using Story Points as these feed through as a default field / scheme etc which are then used in reports.

http://take.ms/DTAjc

Many Thanks, 

Ben

3 answers

1 vote
Heiko Gerlach April 25, 2019

Hi All,

I completely understand this requirement of having a drop down/select list, since any Burndown Chart and Velocity calculation is useless as long as anyone can enter any value. This is why we created the brand new App "StoryPoints" for Jira Server.

It is dedicated to Fibonacci Estimation but supports any Selection Options via easy administration.

For details see here. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220390/storypoints-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Cheers

Heiko

Len Quam March 20, 2020

Any plans to offer this for the Cloud product?

0 votes
sarah.edwards@employbridge.com June 20, 2017

Ben were you able to accomplish this?  I would love to know what steps are needed.

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2016

You could create a custom field and copy the selection to the story points field with scriptrunner plugin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2016

To explain that, the field is a number field.  If you replaced it with a select list, the estimates wouldn't work because they need a number.  So Dave is suggesting "enter data in one field and have it calculate a number for Software to use as the estimate"

Hello - I am trying to do this same thing, but was hoping to find greater detail in how to accomplish it?  I am very new to JIRA, but we are trying to implement a drop-down with (1,2,3,5,8,21,34,55,89,144) fibonacci sequence.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

You add the select-list with your numbers as normal, putting it on the create, edit and transition screens, but you do not add it to view.

Then you need to choose between

1.  Writing a numeric "scripted field" which will read the value from the select list, convert the label into a number and display that

2.  Writing a "listener" that will pick up every change event on issues, read the select list value, convert it to a number and put it in a standard numeric custom field.  The target field should only be put on "view" screens to avoid users amending it.

(p.s. well, an almost-Fibonacci...)

Like Deleted user likes this

thank you we will work on this and let you know how we come out.  thank you for your prompt response!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

I forgot, I should have said I'd prefer the "scripted field" route, but I have not tested it, and I am not 100% sure that the boards will be able to use that as an estimation statistic. 

That's why I mentioned the listener - because I know the boards will be able to use a numeric field.

Deleted user December 13, 2017

Guys,

Could we think about making this a standard feature?

Fibonnaci numbers are now a kind of standard that is used in estimation process.

Could we add a feature like "Estimate in Fibonnaci numbers" that will allow this setting out-of-the-box and make this conversion to int value?

This would be a good enhancement to JIRA features.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2017

I doubt that will ever happen.  Much as you say a Fibonnaci sequence is "standard", it really really is not, and will not suit a large number of users.

You should emulate it with the scripted tricks given above.

Like Brook Hatch likes this
danielsandy October 15, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

could you please tell me it's possible or not  ?? if we use custom  drop down as a story point  is not visible in board. 

we need to show it in board.Please give me your suggestion for this issue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2018

Please read the comment above about the listener.

Suggest an answer