Is it possible to configure a watcher to receive all notifications for all issues in one project? All project they are in?

Tim Arthur March 18, 2014

We have some users who would like to be notified whenever anything changes in JIRA. Select few users. Would prefer not to have to use a bulk-change feature to add them, if that's a solution.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

The usual approach is to create a new role like "project snoop", amend your notification schemes to send all emails to that role, and then add the select few to the role in the projects they are interested in.

This doesn't solve "all project they are in" - you either need to think through what that actually means (almost every time I point this out in an Answer, people bluster, fail to answer it, and then go quiet when they finally realise that they don't really know what they mean. Or go "yup, here's a simple rule"). Or, just go with "whack them in the snooper role and be done with it"

2 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Yes, we do this. Our tickets default to unassigned but we want our development managers to see when tickets in the IT/DEV projects are created. Here's how:

1) Create an extra Jira group called verbose-notifications (or another name that makes sense for the people who want to be notified of everything).

2) Add users to that group.

3) In the Notification Scheme(s) used for the projects in question, do Add -> Group -> verbose-notifications on the Issue Created event and any other events they care about.

In my case I copied the Default Notification Scheme to an IT Notification Scheme and used that scheme for all IT projects.

0 votes
Tim Arthur March 23, 2014

Thanks for helping solve this one!

Suggest an answer