Is it possible to clone epics that (automatically) update in different project types?

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Hello community :-)

I'd like to clone epics (and maybe tasks, issues etc.) from a scrum (or, later, a business) project to a next gen project, because I'd like to build a road map there. While trying that, two main problems occured:

• The cloning itself didn't work properly yet when trying to clone an epic from a scrum project to a next gen project (although I might have found a solution for that in a book written by Patrick Li I'm reading at the moment).
  • The cloned epics should update (respectively some/all fields and dates) automatically, which isn't possible, when "only" cloning, as far as I know.

Does anyone have a suggestion or solution for one or both problems? I'm especially interested in the latter part. So is it possible to clone - probably by automation - epics that are updated automatically when edited in one project (without editing in the second)?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sebastian

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2020

Hi @Sebastian Mühleis ,

With our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira you can (bulk) clone between classic and next-gen projects.

It's also possible to edit the cloned issues while cloning.

Maybe that could solve your problem? 

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2020

Hello Marlene,

thanks for your quick response - I already replied yesterday, but it seems the system didn't like my answer to yours :-D

I'll definitely try out the app at a later stage of the setup of my Jira & Confluence environment, but right now we're only using the free plan and want to use free apps and plugins (since it's only a pilot atm).

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 20, 2020

I am happy to hear, that you plan to try out Deep Clone for Jira, @Sebastian Mühleis !

If you want to have a preview you can download the free trial and use the full feature set of the app for 30 days without paying for it.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

Hi Sebastian, I don’t know if this is going to be possible because of the differences between classic and NexGen. However I would definitely try using project automation to make this happen. You might use a scheduled trigger for this if your classic epics already exist and add a label to the ones you wish to clone, leveraging the label as a condition. Start small with a test epic so as not to create a mess you have to clean up.

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2020

Hi Jack,

thanks for your quick reply. I'll try this one out and give you/us all a feedback, if it did work out or not.

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2020

Hello again Jack,

the cloning of the epic(s) worked out fine via automation, but I'm still experiencing problems with the updating. I'll post a new topic with screenshots of my automation rules and audit messages soon.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events