Is it possible to clone a ticket and its sprint values without cloning its active sprint value?

Iheanyi Uwanamodo May 9, 2023

Hello,

Currently, tickets in Jira have a Clone feature with multiple configuration options. One of these options is “Clone Sprint Values.” When creating a Clone with this option, if the ticket being cloned is in the current sprint, then the newly created ticket will also be added to the current sprint.

We would like to know if it is possible to have the newly created ticket instead placed into the backlog.

I've tried to do this via groovy but I can't get my code to work. Was wondering if there are other ways of going about this?

1 answer

0 votes
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Iheanyi Uwanamodo

As far as I know, there is no way to do this directly while cloning. But you could probably use an automation rule like this to achieve your goal:

automation.png

Iheanyi Uwanamodo May 23, 2023

Where is the automation page? I dont think I've seen this feature.

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
Iheanyi Uwanamodo May 23, 2023

I'm not using Jira Cloud, I think that's only a cloud feature.

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

@Iheanyi Uwanamodo If you don't have https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira or https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211836/automation-for-jira-server-lite installed on your server instance, then yes, automation is not available.

To get back to your original question:

We would like to know if it is possible to have the newly created ticket instead placed into the backlog.

Actually, if you don't clone the sprint values, the ticket should be moved to the backlog automatically because there is no sprint assigned. I am not sure if this logic applies to Jira server as well, but did you already verify if that is the case?

Suggest an answer