Is it possible to change the status of an issue in relation to another issue wich is blocking it?

María López Carrasco November 22, 2018

I would like to know if when I link an issue with the relation "blocked by" is possible to change the status of the blocked issue. I mean:

• I create an issue. Issue A --> status: Backlog 
  • I add a link to issue A. Linked issues: is blocked by issue B
  • Issue A status changes to Blocked (automatically?)
  • when issue B is in status Released, issue A chages status to Backlog again

As I was writing it, it sounded more impossible. Does anyone know if is possible to configure something like this?

Thank you :)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2018

Jira Workflow Extensions can do this via Post Functions in the workflow. JWME on the marketplace i think. 

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2018

Additionally, Automation for Jira, can also accomplish this 

María López Carrasco November 22, 2018

We've been trying different extensions for that and they work pretty well. I just wanted to know if there were any way to do that without an extension.

Thank you so much anyway!

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2018

I havent encountered any method on the Cloud version outside of those mentioned. You might be able to do something in the Rest API im not aware of, but would require a developer resource. 

María López Carrasco November 26, 2018

It is ok, thank you so much for your time! :)

Suggest an answer