Is it possible to automatically start logging work after the user start working on an issue?

Hugo Eduardo Loureiro Amadeu May 8, 2013

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if is it possible to automatically start logging work after the user start working on an issue? And, of course, after the user stopped working on this issue, the logwork should ends automatically as well.

Regards,

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Hi Hugo, the Tempo Plugin (not free plugin) has a "Tracker" option for this:

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Real-Time+Time+Tracking

Hugo Eduardo Loureiro Amadeu May 8, 2013

Thank you Ramiro! But do you know if there is a way to do it without using plugins?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

No, no without some developing. Jira doesn't have a functionality like this.

Moumita Mallik January 24, 2019

This is very helpful for me to auto work log in jira
https://app.jiraautolog.com/login

2 votes
George Mihailoff December 30, 2018

Old question, new answer -- automatically capture spent time based on workflow data.

You won't need to mimic such workflow with different tools. This add-on analyzes data, calculates time spent numbers and provides reporting capabilities. 

mquade January 16, 2019

Hi, is it possible to install this plugin on a self hosted server or is it only available on cloud server? We are running an self hosted one... :) 

Like # people like this
George Mihailoff January 16, 2019
Like # people like this
Pedro Fresco January 18, 2019

Hi Matthias,

You can try Automated Log Work there is a server and cloud version also.

2 votes
Paul Wagner - at - AC May 9, 2013

I had the same problem and didn't find a solution without buying the Tempo plugin - which was not option for me. I did create a "sort-of" solution using the Groovy plugin, a custom groovy script which adds 1 minute to a ticket, and finally modifying my workflows to fire the script every time a transtion going into an "in progress" state occurs.

This is not as ellegant as automatically getting the time worked on an issue; but at least allows for some data to start getting collected. My team can go back into their worklog and correct times without having to remeber what tickets they worked on. I'm sure with a little mroe hacking the Groovy script could do the calculation when leaving a Jira issue.

Also look up the Timesheet plug-in; it is a fraction of the cost of Tempo. It still will not do what you want, however with the script I mentioned above, it makes correctign time a lot easier.

If you use this technique for "automatically" logging time, make sure you put the Groovy script running Post-Action AFTER the Re-index action; otherwise the tickets are not re-indexed properly.

Groovy Code:

import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.worklog.*
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.worklog.*
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import org.apache.log4j.Category
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.*
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.*
import com.opensymphony.workflow.* 
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.worklog.WorklogInputParametersImpl.Builder 
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.*
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.*

String currentUser = ((WorkflowContext) transientVars.get("context")).getCaller();  
User currentUserObj = ((UserUtil)ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(UserUtil.class)).getUser(currentUser); 
Issue issue = issue

JiraServiceContext jiraServiceContext = new JiraServiceContextImpl(currentUserObj);
WorklogService worklogService = (WorklogService) ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(WorklogService.class);

WorklogInputParametersImpl.Builder builder = WorklogInputParametersImpl.builder().issue(issue).timeSpent("1m").startDate(new Date()).comment("Auto Added 1 minute").groupLevel(null).roleLevelId(null);

WorklogResult worklogresult = worklogService.validateCreate(jiraServiceContext, builder.build());
Worklog worklog = worklogService.createAndRetainRemainingEstimate(jiraServiceContext, worklogresult, true);

Hugo Eduardo Loureiro Amadeu May 13, 2013

Hi Paul!

Thanks for the code.

I'll try to use it on my solution.

Regards

0 votes
Pedro Fresco January 18, 2019

Automated Log Work for Jira is a good choice.

Time is tracked in two modes:

• automatic (based on workflow) or
  • manual (start/stop/pause timer buttons)

Reports with data export to XLS file for more sophisticated work data manipulation.

Available also server version

0 votes
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 16, 2019

Clockwork Automated Timesheets app does exactly that.

It integrates with Jira's workflow and logs the precise time worked, depending on how much time an issue was in an active status ("In Progress" category).

The timers can be also started or stopped manually by using Start/Stop buttons.

The app also provides reports and it is free at the moment.

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014
0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

Without plugins. No

Suggest an answer