Is it possible to automatically start logging work after the user start working on an issue?

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if is it possible to automatically start logging work after the user start working on an issue? And, of course, after the user stopped working on this issue, the logwork should ends automatically as well.

Regards,

7 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Hugo, the Tempo Plugin (not free plugin) has a "Tracker" option for this:

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Real-Time+Time+Tracking

Thank you Ramiro! But do you know if there is a way to do it without using plugins?

No, no without some developing. Jira doesn't have a functionality like this.

I had the same problem and didn't find a solution without buying the Tempo plugin - which was not option for me. I did create a "sort-of" solution using the Groovy plugin, a custom groovy script which adds 1 minute to a ticket, and finally modifying my workflows to fire the script every time a transtion going into an "in progress" state occurs.

This is not as ellegant as automatically getting the time worked on an issue; but at least allows for some data to start getting collected. My team can go back into their worklog and correct times without having to remeber what tickets they worked on. I'm sure with a little mroe hacking the Groovy script could do the calculation when leaving a Jira issue.

Also look up the Timesheet plug-in; it is a fraction of the cost of Tempo. It still will not do what you want, however with the script I mentioned above, it makes correctign time a lot easier.

If you use this technique for "automatically" logging time, make sure you put the Groovy script running Post-Action AFTER the Re-index action; otherwise the tickets are not re-indexed properly.

Groovy Code:

import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.worklog.*
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.worklog.*
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import org.apache.log4j.Category
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.*
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.*
import com.opensymphony.workflow.* 
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.worklog.WorklogInputParametersImpl.Builder 
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.*
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.*

String currentUser = ((WorkflowContext) transientVars.get("context")).getCaller();  
User currentUserObj = ((UserUtil)ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(UserUtil.class)).getUser(currentUser); 
Issue issue = issue

JiraServiceContext jiraServiceContext = new JiraServiceContextImpl(currentUserObj);
WorklogService worklogService = (WorklogService) ComponentManager.getComponentInstanceOfType(WorklogService.class);

WorklogInputParametersImpl.Builder builder = WorklogInputParametersImpl.builder().issue(issue).timeSpent("1m").startDate(new Date()).comment("Auto Added 1 minute").groupLevel(null).roleLevelId(null);

WorklogResult worklogresult = worklogService.validateCreate(jiraServiceContext, builder.build());
Worklog worklog = worklogService.createAndRetainRemainingEstimate(jiraServiceContext, worklogresult, true);

Hi Paul!

Thanks for the code.

I'll try to use it on my solution.

Regards

That is possible with Automated Log Work plugin. It integrates time tracking with JIRA workflow actions so time is logged automatically when user moves issue to 'In Progress' state and back (Stop Progress/Close/Resolve).

Yes, Quantify for Jira is completely automated, no need to press annoying start-stop buttons.

Timothy Chin Community Champion May 08, 2013

Without plugins. No

Hi Hugo,

You can try also Automated Log Work addon we are on the JIRA Cloud platform from the beginning and in case you need any feature request or question you can always reach us at support@gebsun.com.

I hope you can find something that meet your expectations.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

45 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you